In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rainier load data

I have read through 2 reloading books and some old posts here. I am still not 100% sure which load data to use for Rainier plated bullets. The two books I have give different data for 230gr LRN rounds with Win231 powder. So, can someone please shed a little light on me please? I should be using the 230gr LRN data from the books right? Is the LRN the same as a cast lead bullet? Please bear with me, I'm new to this reloading hobby. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load them with the same data as jacketed bullets. If you are loading the plated round nose bullet and are taper crimping the case, let me give you a hint. The Rainers are soft and if you seat and crimp at the same time, you will flaten the nose of the bullet. I seat my bullets, raise up the seating plug, and then go back and taper crimp. I load my 230 Raniers with 5.3 gr of 231 and for guns such as glocks that need a hotter load to function, I load 8.2 gr of AA5.
  • Options
    farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are flattening the nose of a round nose bullet (even when seating/crimping) you may be using the wrong seater plug. Make sure it is made for round nose bullets. Rainier bullets should be loaded using cast/lead bullet data.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I have the Lee factory crimp die so I should not run into that problem. As far as using jacketed bbullet data, aren't the jackets on those bullets much thicker than the plating on the Rainiers? Rainiers website says to only use lead loading data...I was just making sure that the data for the LRN loads on my books is what I should be using.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    If you compare the Ranier rn 45 bullets to winchester or Remington, you will see that they are not the same shape. The Ranier is more pointed. I have found the velocities of the Rainers to be about the same as the jacketed loads. I do not use the Rainers for hot loads. I have not found a seating plug that I have that will work without damaging the nose. I have both a Lyman and a RCBS 45 rn seating stems.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.1 grains of 231 oal 1.2600
    average 744.3 fps

5.0 grains 231
    average 648 fps

i took .45 acp 230 rainier,fmj, and rnl, loaded all of them in the same press using the same powder, and oal

fmj 725 fps
    rainier 744 fps
    rnl 799 fps

they are not lead, they are not fmj's, and they have their own data, but really either way will work
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much...good info!!!