In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handbook info question

youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
I'm just getting started in reloading. I bought the Lyman 48 edition Reloading Handbook. I also picked up a couple of the caliber specific books. In the info what does BC: .### mean?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Balistic Coefficient. Simply put, a calculation that takes into account a bullets length and shape as well as weight and a given muzzle velocity which will result in a number that gives an approximation of the bullets ability to overcome wind and gravity in flight.

The higher the BC number, the more aerodynamic and the greater it will resist environmental changes during flight.

This is a very basic explanation,..you should really do a search on BC and read some of the better written articles on the subject. You will be using the BC number should you start any shooting in the intermediate to long range distances.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Ballistic Coefficient or how streamline the bullet is
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    youngsparkey,

It stands for Ballistic Coefficient:

The ballistic coefficient (BC) of a projectile is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. The higher the BC, the better or more efficiently it moves through the air.

Discussion:

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/September01.htm

BC calculator:

http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/calcbc/calcbc.htm

Best.
  • Options
    youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you guys very much. I wont be needing that for a little while.
  • Options
    lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Balistic Coefficient. Simply put, a calculation that takes into account a bullets length and shape as well as weight and a given muzzle velocity which will result in a number that gives an approximation of the bullets ability to overcome wind and gravity in flight.

The higher the BC number, the more aerodynamic and the greater it will resist environmental changes during flight.

This is a very basic explanation,..you should really do a search on BC and read some of the better written articles on the subject. You will be using the BC number should you start any shooting in the intermediate to long range distances.

Get the Sierra manuals, too. They have the best discussion on the subject. I rely on the Sierra more than my RCBS or Hodgdon maunals.
    t