In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice on a single-stage press....

theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
Well....I'm sure this one is going to open a few cans of worms. I'm new to reloading, and looking at purchasing a single-stage press to start. I'll be reloading mainly .40 S&W, possibly .38 Special eventually, but mainly the .40. Price is a big consideration, but I'm also looking at quality and output. I've researched Dillion presses and like them very much, but according to their catalog, they don't make a single stage. What do you guys, reccomend, and why do you reccomend it?

Comments

• CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are going to get a lot of differing opinions on this one. Myself, I started on a Lee single stage and loaded tens of thousands of rounds before I moved to progressive. Press is cheap, dies are cheap, not much involved. Loved it and still use it for rifle rounds.

The problem is that when I moved to progressive I didn't like lee's turret press...but I have so much invested that I can't switch right now. If I had it to do over I would have started with Dillon. It is worth the money to start right. Don't get me wrong...I still load thousands with the turret press but wish I had started with dillon. Even though the dies are supposed to fit universally, if I went Dillon I would switch.

So there...LOL
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LEE offers a 2yr warrenty, to the origional purchaser.
    RCBS, Lyman, Dillon and the other "big names" have a lifetime warrenty, and they don't care if your the first or 21st owner of the equipment. Nuff said. I will note that LEE does have some decent products, but for the most part their only selling point is price.

For your purposes, a used press from just about any manfacture, will work (besides you can always use a single stage for short runs and developmental duties), and some day you may get into rifle loading (where the SS is king). Look into used RCBS or equivalent equipment.

Another area is the "accessories", esp the scale. Don't go cheap on your scale (if it's plastic, it's trash). Again, the "big names" offer their lifetime warrenty on all their reloading equipment.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Go with a Lee Classic Cast press. It is their new version of the O frame press and is just as beefy as an RCBS Rockchucker at half the cost. For the caliber you cite their old O frame press would also work, but its weak point was a linkage made of pot metal; it is fine for pistols but with rifle ammo sizing breaks every few thousand rounds. I would avoid their C frame press like the plague. It is dirt cheap, but wobbly, only useful for bullet sizing and priming really.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy my Lee Classic Cast. I'm going to upgrade to a Turret Press.

If you want to buy new, the Lee anniversary kit is the best deal money can buy.

I've used my Kit to reload over 1000-40S&W rds. 357, 44mag as well.

It's a great single stage.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Lee Classic...you'll use it for the rest of your life
  • theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...alot of good information there. Thanks a bunch. I'll do a little more research about the ones mentioned, but now I have a good place to start. However, it's beginning to look like a Lee single stage and eventually a Dillion progressive. The biggest problem though is I just found out today my car has a blown head gasket [B)], so I'm gonna have to put it off for awhile [:(]
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    check out GB reloading #62719478
    or do a search reloading type in press
  • mikeinidmikeinid Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by cubslovers
    You can buy my Lee Classic Cast. I'm going to upgrade to a Turret Press.

If you want to buy new, the Lee anniversary kit is the best deal money can buy.

I've used my Kit to reload over 1000-40S&W rds. 357, 44mag as well.

It's a great single stage.
    I'm interested. What are you asking for it shipped to zip 83703? Mike
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by theboogeyman
    Wow...alot of good information there. Thanks a bunch. I'll do a little more research about the ones mentioned, but now I have a good place to start. However, it's beginning to look like a Lee single stage and eventually a Dillion progressive. The biggest problem though is I just found out today my car has a blown head gasket [B)], so I'm gonna have to put it off for awhile [:(]

If you plan on staying with it forget Lee equipment except dies. Hornady and RCBS sells a complete kit including a reloading manual for a couple of hundred bucks.

If you want used freight will KILL you if buying from the internet. Go to local garage sales and look in the local paper for some old fart selling off his equipment. It is a good place to get good deals on stuff. With pistol dies buy ONLY carbide sizers.
    edited November -1
    I'll keep all that in mind. If I buy new online, I wonder if anyplace offers free shipping? [:D]
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I think three of the best are Redding, Lyman orange crush and the RCBS rockchucker. I haven't used the Hornaday press. Any of those three will take you up to match ammo grade.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Disregard the Lee naysayers; Lee's "classic cast" presses are the equal of anything RCBS or Dillon has to offer, at half the price. I own one of their classic cast single stage presses and it has worked perfectly.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Interesting, NOBODY has offered of the Forster CoAx. Clip in the dies, set them, do the work, and remove - without changing the setup.

I just have not found the funds to purchase one yet.....
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I got an rcbs reloader speacial for $45 off of ebay shipping was only $18 just check the shippinf charges before you bid!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    RCBS Rockchucker...it will last you forever...and then some.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I just bouhgt a new rock chucker supreme today it is an awsome peice of equipment I loaded 100 223 rounds with it and it is has a great feel to it
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find an old Herters press there's nothing ruggeder. I have my dads old press
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    go with the rcbs been using one for years
    lots of hand work ,but what else have you got to do?
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Lee Classic line of presses. Very sturdy pieces of equipment.
  • lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway sells a Lyman starter kit with a Turret press, powder measure, powder scale, case trimmer, reloading manual and other goodies for $339. Dies are extra. Warning: I strongly suggest you get the Sinclair primer pocket reamers. Brass is maleable and the pockets shrink (compress) over time and need the depth corrected. High primers are no fun and dangerous. You'll need a case tumbler, sifter , and media to keep from ruining your dies (they're extra).
    You'll need a caliper to check case length.

The turret press will be a little faster. This is how I would use it.
    Use a Lee universal decapper and check/ream/clean the primer pockets after you clean and size the cases. Next, resize a batch ( qt. tomato sauce can works well) Wipe off the lubricant. Now the fun part begins.
    Prime the cases with the priming arm and primer feeder (extra). Then rotate the head so the powder measure comes up. Throw a charge. If you don't like the Lyman, an RCBS will fit. Rotate the head again and seat a bullet. Rotate again and crimp (taper crimp for the S&W.40). This cuts down on taking the cases out after every operation, as in a single stage press. Prep the cases while watching televison, if you like to manage/save your time.

Do not prime, throw the powder charge, seat the bullet while watching TV, a double charge of powder will damage the pistol, and possibly YOU as well. If you shoot a lot of .40, breakeven time should be short. Enjoy, but be careful.
  • MoetMoet Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I can add my bit i would have a close look at the Hornady line of releoading equipment

Refer attached link: https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=ab19a89b95deb5d4b0e04e59bf07e3eb

I have the Lock-N-Load classic it is simple, sturdy and the dies are so easy to change but I use both the Lee and the Hornady hand primer, I just like to feel that primer is set home properly and nothing beats the old hand touch

In saying that the Hornady press and dies are not the cheapest on the market but the old saying you get what you pay for certainly works here.

Check them out before you rush into anything but Hornady get a 10 out of 10 from me!! Giddy up

Regards

Moet from down under
    edited November -1
    Hmmm....good advice fellas....I had been looking at a turret over a single stage. It's unlikely I'll be loading rifle ammo anytime soon, and then it'll probably be .308. I've been looking at the Lyman, but for not much more, I could have a RCBS. Does Dillion make a non-progressive turret? Then again, the Lee is SO much cheaper, and I could upgrade at a later time....
  • MoetMoet Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't over look Hornady and remember you get what you pay for?
    edited November -1
    I'll remember the Hornady. I'm kinda partial to their products myself. As a matter of fact, they ended up "sponsoring" one of my race cars in one of my NASCAR games, LOL [:D]
  • SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just started reloading about 2 months ago. I purchased the Lee Anniversary kit (69.99) and Lee Pacesetter dies (19.20 - Rifle dies). Lee pistol dies are 20.95 a set. The Lee dies are just as good if not better than RCBS or any of the other overpriced brands. I was reccommended Lee my several(10+) people on a different forum. The Lee Anniversary kit comes with the Lee Challenger Press, Safety Scale, Perfect Powder Measure, Primer tool with set of 11 shellholders, primer pocket cleaner, case lube, powder funnel, chamfer/deburring tool, and a cutter and lock stud. The only additional things I had to buy were trimmers for each cartridge (2.19 each - for use with the cutter and lock stud) and of course the components. You may want a Tumbler as well, but this is optional.

That's all you need!
  • lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon 550B is a manual indexing machine and is not a bad choice. It will load .308, no problem and you can add a case feeder later. I have the 650 and love it. The Hornady is a true progressive and I have heard good reports on it. It is not for first time reloaders.

I personally found the sliding bar powder thrower on the Dillon to be more accurate than the rotary type for the powders I use (unique, 4895). I also have an RCBS junior single stage press. It is over 30 years old. I use it for experimental loads, decapping, bullet pulling. Yes you will make mistakes- a Quinetics inertial puller (looks like a hammer) will also work.

LEE makes some good dies, like the factory crimp , taper crimp, and universal decapper dies. I don't like their regular dies. For one thing, they won't fit well in a Dillon toolhead. DO NOT buy a Lee progressive press, I have one, and it's nothing but trouble.
  • The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boogey: Just so we're all on the same page....are you aware Lee makes a CLASSIC CAST TURRET press now? You can use it single stage or as kind of a semi-progressive.

I'm not sure this is clear in the posts.

While they're kinda new on the market I have one and think it will out last me and my kid.
  • SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a new Cabela's catalog today and they have a pretty good deal with the Hornady Lock N' Load Kit. If you buy it (339.99) then you get 500 free Hornady bullets ($100 value). You mentioned that you liked Hornady so I thought I'd let you know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The Ginral
    Boogey: Just so we're all on the same page....are you aware Lee makes a CLASSIC CAST TURRET press now? You can use it single stage or as kind of a semi-progressive.

I'm not sure this is clear in the posts.

While they're kinda new on the market I have one and think it will out last me and my kid.

Yeah, I've looked at the Cast version. Seems alot heavier-duty, although I have yet to examine one in person. Apparently there aren't any Lee dealers in my area. Too bad they don't come in a kit though.

SW: I'll be checking out the Cabellas also, as soon as I receive it.
  • fairlanegt390fairlanegt390 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a rock chucker press and it has served me well for 25 years. i last had a pin break with one phone call i had a new pin shipped to me from rcbs for free. if you reload alot of pistol cases you can get a progresive top for them and pull it off when doing rifle rounds. buy the way i have a compleat kit for sale for $200+ shipping. never been used.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have experience with the RCBS Rockchucker(24 years&going), a Lyman press(10 years & sold it), a C-H 4 station press (40 years&going), a Dillon 550(20 years&going). They are all great presses. My favorite is the RCBS Rockchucker though and the service I have had over the years from RCBS has been outstanding.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fairlanegt390
    I have a rock chucker press and it has served me well for 25 years. i last had a pin break with one phone call i had a new pin shipped to me from rcbs for free. if you reload alot of pistol cases you can get a progresive top for them and pull it off when doing rifle rounds. buy the way i have a compleat kit for sale for $200+ shipping. never been used.

The complete kit sounds good, but I'm a little short on money about now. If you read up you'll notice I've had car trouble. The head gasket diagnosis turned into a cracked head. [:(] Appreciate the offer though, and in a few months, I might be ready to buy. In the meantime I'm getting LOTS of research done LOL. [;)]