In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornady Inner Bond Bullets

pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
I use 180 grain bullets for everything in my .308. Are the Hornady i
Inner Bond bullets worth the extra costs? I have never had any trouble with expansion or disintergration of the normal Hornady bullets in deer, elk or bear. Most of my shots are in the 50 to 200 yard range.
Thanks for opinions,
Phil

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pphillips,

I don't think that I could ever be accused of being a stick-in-the-mud with regard to trying new bullets and other loading components. I like to try everything that's new if it has any potential for reasonable improvement(s) over an existing product. But when you make the statement "I have never had any trouble..." it makes me wonder if the expense of switching makes the effort of testing a new bullet worth the effort. There aren't any magic bullets that will kill a head of game any deader than the one that you're having success with currently.

I do understand the desire to try new things, so in answer to your question, no there isn't reason to try the Interbonds because you're already getting the performance that you need and want. If you want to experiment, then by all means try the Interbonds.

"Hornady Interlock bullets are of conventional design, with a cannelure and the addition of a small raised edge on the inside of the jacket near the base of the bullet (the Interlock) to help prevent core slippage during expansion."

This statement says it all I think. Here is a comparison of sectioned bullets:

467738.jpg

The Interbond is on left and an SST is on the right. The plastic tip does help with tip damage when compared to exposed lead tips and it increases the Ballistic Coefficient.

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pphillips,

nononsense makes a good point about if it works why change. You have an established load that works. Document that and keep it in your reloading stuff.

As an aside, and I don't know if you are going to do this, I was reading about an African Safari Guide, PH's as they like to call themselves now, who said of all the bullets he has seen come through his camps he likes the Interbond the best. I was at work with nothing going on at the time and putzing along on the internet, so I can't give you a site. He said it has taken everything he has ever hunted. Not nearly as high priced as some of the big name big game bullets that come through, but they never fail to do exactly what they are designed to do. Maximum expansion and minimum separation.

Anyhow, I think they are good bullets, but if you are killing deer with one shot with what you use then why change that recipe. The Interbond may be your new ingredient for your next adventure somewhere on other species.
  • laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    certainly i would concur with others that you don't "need" to change to an interbond. i didn't either, but did last season anyway. how much is the extra cost, really, given overall hunting expenditures? not much, and it's the bullet that does the killing after all. as far as the trouble of new load development and/or sighting in, for me that's fun and good practice, not a hassle.

i was in a similar situation, with completely satisfactory results with hornady SSTs and such in my 270s for years. last fall i switched to interbonds anyway, for the above reasons. it so happened that a 340 lb (meat locker weighed) whitetail 10 pt buck stepped out this november in nebraska. i've waited 35 years for such an opportunity. he was mostly facing in to me, very slightly quartering right. the 130 interbond broke the near shoulder, drove on thru the vitals obliterating the lungs, and ended up somewhere in his backside. he went about 25 yards.

now truthfully, an SST or such would have likely had virtually the same effect. the buck would not have known the difference. but pyschologically alone it was well worth a couple extra dollars for added confidence, and may possibly have helped bullet performance just a tad in this situation. in any case, i'm glad i spent those extra couple dollars on a box of interbonds. for practice, i still use comparable SSTs, and switch to interbonds just prior to final sight-in preseason.