In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield Trophy Match or Kimber Eclipse Target?

3dnate3dnate Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I am about to purchase a new toy. I am not sure what to choose? I like all the extras on the Trophy, but I like the black on the Eclipse.

Locally I have heard the metal in the Springfields are stronger?

Any advise?

Nate

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Between the two, I prefer the Springfield. I think their quality is better at the present time. If you want the best buy, with the most features at this time, take a look at the Taurus PT-1911. It has all the bells and whistles and can be had for less than $500.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well... I guess I am hung up on this "match Barrel" thing. Does having "match parts" really make a better gun? Or is it going to be my practice? And if I practice should I have the "match" stuff?
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    In general, a true match barrel, if properly installed, will be more accurate but usually less reliable. They will have a tighter chamber which makes them more ammo sensitive. There are trade offs for everything you do to a pistol.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimber is not what they used to be, quality has went down allot since they went to the kimber II

have your match barrel throated, it will feed anything
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello a lot depends on what type of shooting you do like others have said Kimber quality has nose dived . With that said the only true factory Match grade guns for either N.R.A. Bulles-Eye Or DCM/CMP Ball matches are those made by Les Baer and Rock River. If you are going to shoot in either of these 2 types of matches or for that matter any kind of formal matches make sure the pistol you want to buy is legal for that type of match by the rule book You would be well served to buy a springfield the Cheapest model with adjustable sights and Then after you practice and get to a point where the pistol is what is holding your scores down get a good PISTOL-SMITH to upgrade with FITTED match parts. Or buy a used match gun of known performance. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Have a Kimber and Springfield 1911...like the Springfield better. Never had a problem with it. It is one of their "loaded" models. The Kimber has been back to the manufacturer for a new slide.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmm... Since I was leaning to the Springfield I am releived. My friend is pushing me to a loaded, but the Trophy has extras that would be more expensive to add later (mag well, front strap check., top grooves, Match grade barrel & bushing). It does not seem to cost that much more.

I rented a (TRP) and I liked it a lot, I was thinking the Trophy was similar?

Sounds like the Springs are a good way to go. I am not sure I want to spend much more at this time.

Thanks for all the help, and I hope to see you at the range.

Nate
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    [url="mailto:"]1911 old school[/url] Cheers Karl
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at this....

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=43

If I'm buying a 45 not intended for carry, it's my choice.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im not sure but i think "eboydell" is talking about the kimber "raptors". i have a grand raptor II.