In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet Casting Advise Needed

I am just getting into bullet casting and would appreciate any advise. I just bought a Lee Precision Melter and Lyman mold #358429 for my Security Six.

Thanks,

Lanark Sixgunner

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Advice? Hmm. Use hard alloys. Wheelweights are often free and work well, though are often dirty and take awhile to smelt and clean. Use beeswax or bullet lube for flux. Get a copy of Lyman's Cast bullet handbook. Smoke your mold with a bic lighter. Once your alloy is hot and fluxed, and your mold clean, degreased, and smoked, you are ready to cast.

This isn't hard; just pour it into the mold, whack the sprue off with a dowel, and drop the bullet on a piece of cloth and let cool. Continue until you have a nice pile.

Cast bullets need lube. The easiest to apply, and imho one of the best (if goopiest) is Lee's liquid alox. Just drizzle some over the bullets in a plastic dish, roll around, spread on wax paper, and let dry for a day or two.

Past this you'll have to experiment. You will need to generously flare your case mouths to seat the cast bullet without damage, but whether they need sizing or not, depends on how tight your chamber is. If they don't chamber well once seated, you'll have to get a .357 or .358 inch sizer- Lees work fine there, too. Some molds cast a tad fat, it also depends on temp and alloy of the lead.

Great fun, that's all I shoot out of most of my handguns now.

Good luck!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 rule no liqiud near molten lead.Other than that get the mold good and hot.I usually do that by casting several times and throw the bullets back in the pot.When it gets hot enough you will have complete bullets with no voids.If the bullets start looking frosty,the lead and mold are too hot and the bullets will be brittle.Be careful,have fun and good luck.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lanark Sixgunner
    I am just getting into bullet casting and would appreciate any advise. I just bought a Lee Precision Melter and Lyman mold #358429 for my Security Six.

Thanks,

Lanark Sixgunner

I've casted hundreds of thousands of bullets. I wore out my first LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK. It is all dog eared and the pages are loose. If you want it email me your address. I'll send it to you free. It has a wealth of information beyond what you could ever get here.

Frosted bullets are OK, as a matter of fact high tin alloys tend to show some frost when casting at its best. Hot bullets are fragile and need dropped on a soft cloth until they cool.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Read books on the subject...as mentioned.

Meanwhile...cast in a ventilated area...and NEVER...BUT NEVER allow even a drop of water in that scrap or wheelweight material.

Done safely, it is truly marrrrvoulas...seeing those shiny nearlyfree wonderful bullets sparkling in all their wonder, dropping from that mould....
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    As others have stated NO LIQUIDS around when you cast do it out side no eating Wash your hansds after you cast Lead is absolved thru the skin and breathing vapors. Make sure mould blocks are up to tempture. Use added tin to alloy metal to make better bullets as needed If you need to size try to find a Star or Magma LUBERSIZER 10 times faster then any other. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have about 10 different Lee molds. I recommend coating the mold with a product such as Midways Frankford arsenal mold release agent. I also cast a lot of pistol bullets with straight wheel weight lead and drop them into a bucket of water to harden them.