In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does this load sound safe?

Cartridge: 7.62x54r
Charge: 44 gr. Hodgdon Benchmark
Bullet: 124 gr. FMJ

Just want to make sure I dont blow myself up.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mosinnagantdisciple,

I think that is a safe load. This link: http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=216
    gives a couple relatively close loads to what you are shooting. If it helps the 7.62x54 is between a .308 and a 30-06 in power. The normal load if I remember right was 151 gr. pushed out at 2725 fps. i think you are under that pressure limit. sandbag the rifle if you don't feel comfortable shooting it. or reduce a little bit more. -good luck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While no gun is indestructible, and I don't advocate igorning reloading data, a toruture test conducted on a Mosin failed to blow it up even with hammering 2 bullets into the bore and firing a regular round off behind it; the powder in the round had to be replaced with a case FULL of H110 pistol powder to blow the reciever.

I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    While no gun is indestructible, and I don't advocate igorning reloading data, a toruture test conducted on a Mosin failed to blow it up even with hammering 2 bullets into the bore and firing a regular round off behind it; the powder in the round had to be replaced with a case FULL of H110 pistol powder to blow the reciever.

I wouldn't worry.

Holy crap!