In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun Reloading

greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
Any options on best reloading press for 16 and 20 gauge shotgun?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking into doing my own reloading for my .12ga and was woundering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a reloading press and all that. And some books would be great!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After the equipment is bought and paid for and the hulls accumulated-How much would it cost to reload a box of 20 ga trap loads. I can buy loaded rounds for $3.50 a box right now. I just bought a new gun and probably will put about 1000 rnds a year through it. What can I expect to load a box of light trap loads 20 ga for?
    Dave
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I may have some disappointing comments.

I had planned to reload for 12 ga a couple of months ago. I can buy them loaded for $3.80 a box after tax. I found that I could load them for $4.02 [:0] This is using hulls I already have as well. If you plan to buy all of your components(shot, primers, powder, wads) retail, I doubt you'll save any at all. You will more than likely spend more to reload them.

On the other hand, I have heard from others that they load them for as little as $1.37 by casting their own shot. It all depends on where/how you get your components.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I have to agree. Unless you are buying your supplies in bulk, say 5 or 10K at a time you likely can buy loaded trap rounds as cheap as your can load them. If you are going to do some formal trap shooting check with the club and see if they do a group buy of supplies and see if you can get in on it.That may lower the cost some.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well I disagree. In my case. It all depends what it costs YOU.....My local supplier offers components pretty cheaply. $18 per pound of powder, $20 per 25 pound bag of shot, $7 per 250 wads, $20 per 1000 primers. That works out to enough powder for about 368 shots at 19 grains (the powder I'm using is WW WST), or 4.9 cents per shot. Primers are 2 cents per shot. Using recycled hulls I get for free from my club, or saving my own, cases are free; at 1 oz per shot, that's 400 shots, or 5 cents a shot. Wads are 2.8 cents each. So the total per shot is 14.7 cents. That's $3.67 per box of 25. The cheapest I can get around here is $3.99. Not MUCH saving per box at $.32, but figure I fire off about 30 boxes a year.... well heck, $30 bucks is $30 bucks, plus I get the fun of the reloading and can taylor my loads (this one is fairly light). In any case, you can surely break even if you shop around for powder types and such.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Well I disagree. In my case. It all depends what it costs YOU.....My local supplier offers components pretty cheaply. $18 per pound of powder, $20 per 25 pound bag of shot, $7 per 250 wads, $20 per 1000 primers. That works out to enough powder for about 368 shots at 19 grains (the powder I'm using is WW WST), or 4.9 cents per shot. Primers are 2 cents per shot. Using recycled hulls I get for free from my club, or saving my own, cases are free; at 1 oz per shot, that's 400 shots, or 5 cents a shot. Wads are 2.8 cents each. So the total per shot is 14.7 cents. That's $3.67 per box of 25. The cheapest I can get around here is $3.99. Not MUCH saving per box at $.32, but figure I fire off about 30 boxes a year.... well heck, $30 bucks is $30 bucks, plus I get the fun of the reloading and can taylor my loads (this one is fairly light). In any case, you can surely break even if you shop around for powder types and such.

On 30 boxes, you would only save $9.60[;)]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked shot prices in my area and was floored. Last tiem I bought shot we paid $14.00 per 25# and we bought alot. Now shot is running $29.00 per 25# and our bulk supplier went out of business. I new the price was up but not that much. I can buy shells locally quite a bit cheaper now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The cheapest shot I can get per 25# is about $29.50. I hope to start casting shot soon so I can actually use my brand new loader I bought.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Doh! Math never was my strong suit. [:D] In any case, my local supplier is usually 10% cheaper than his competitors. There is another business nearby and he somehow combines or shipping by having it sent to their place so he passes on the savings and pays them a little for the help.
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with those that said that reloading the 12 and 20 guage is just for fun!! I can't figure that I can save much if anything.. I do like my reloads better than the factory loads--less recoil is the best advantage!

Reloading 28 ga and 410 shells is a little different story. I think I save some money with these. I practice skeet most of the time with the 28 and 410. Because of the price of shot and the fact that one never finds good prices at the store for 28 or 410, they may be the only ones I should spend my time on. Of course powder, primers and wads cost about the same. Hulls a harder to get your hands on so I buy new shells from time to time and save my hulls and occasionally one of my shooting partners will shoot 28 & 410 and doesn't want to reload them.

Anyway, I do enjoy reloading and I have the time, so I count that as worth something also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree there. It's worthwile to reload .410 (dont know about 28ga, dont have one) I can't buy a box of 20 for less than $8. Rarely shoot it because of the cost of shells. Lee doesnt make a .410 loader[:(!]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'd like to note that what I meant was you can't load TRAP loads for much cheaper than you can buy them, unless you are buying the high grade stuff like AA or STS. Game and other specialized loads are where you can see some significant savings. I noticed shell prices went up last fall and component prices are seeing a rise now (powder, primers and shot). The prices I see locally tend to be below what I am hearing elsewhere but are still slightly above what you listed. You might want to stock before the prices hit your area.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the input. I was hoping for maybe 2 bucks a box but I suppose I was being delusional again. Anyhow-warmed up the barrels of the new gun tonight. Dave
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the reason to reload shotgun is the quality of components, and tayloring the load to the gun. the shell you are buying for $3 something a box does not have hardned lead (shot). by hardning the lead it will deform less under compression being forced down the barrel. there for resulting in less holes in the patern. wads all function different also. some stay with the shot longer keeping maybe a modified choke shooting full patterns. now AA & STS both (these run from $5.50 at the local wallyworld)have hardened shot. but you are limited to their velocities and commponents. if you have a young or woman or hate recoil yourself you can down load to make cream puff loads.