In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

federal brass v/ winchester

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
can any of you tell me which brass is better to reload with for 45 acp? are the primer pockets about the same . ive reloaded with some federal and some of the other brands. seems like the primer seats better in the federal. just wondered if winchester is just as good.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    and i reload with the dillon 550.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I haven't loaded every brand of brass but the only one I have found that is really bad is amerc.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    brier-49 has good advice there. I shoot a ton of different brands and have had no problems with either Federal or Win. When I was loading for IPSC matches I used Starline brass and it is still probably my favorite. I also load on a Dillon 550.
  • Options
    lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just prepped a batch of .45 brass of various types.
    Some observations:

The Federal cases that are brass are fine, the primer pockets on some needed the Sinclair primer pocket reamer. A few had enlarged flash holes. The nickel plated Federal and Aquilla all had enlarged flash holes, had to toss them all. A lot of my brass of different brands was undersized as well. The Remington and Winchester brass hold up well. The WWII vintage Winchester brass was easy to prep the primer pockets. The absolute toughest was the 1945 vintage Franford Arsenal brass. It took a lot of work to open up the primer pockets.

Fortunately, there's just a few of them left- I'm tossing them.
    I'm currently loading 230gr. FMJ with 6.1 of Unique on a Dillon 650 press.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have loaded 5000 to 7500 rounds of 45 acp for each of the last 35 years For match bulls-eye shooting with both "mainly semi wadcutter"
    lead and 230 grain FMJ ball Your type of shooting may vary but Small group size out of a ransom rest Is what I need. The main differance in most is wall thickness .Remington UMC "old stuff is the thinest then TZZ then Remington then Winchester "WW" then WCC Match then Federal why is this important The sizeing die will leave the outside of all of them the same size and most 230 grain ball bullets are undersize .449 -.451 I have seen the bullet drop down and touch the top of the powder under it's own weight or be so loose it pushes back in the case when it touches the pistol feed ramp NOT GOOD I like WCC match or Winchester. I used to also use Federal BUT about 8 years ago they had BIG BIG problems with Quality control all the military pistol teams stopped useing it and the marines started loading their own on WCC brass. now they get I think Black hills to load their match ammo with Nosler 185 grain JHP for Wadcutter pistols and also their 230 grain ball as well as 9MM ball. most older ball ammo had black sealer on the bullets so case wall thickness was a non issure. You are reloading you need good bullet pull. I would load with a taper crimp die with case mouth sized to .469 and OAL 1.240 with semi wadcutter bullets match your Ball ammo to your barrel Your mileage may vary "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" PS I have ammo cans of 1500 rounds of older good Federal ,Winchester , and WCC match for sale in the can or fixed cost box USPS. Let me know if you need any Karl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey karl, yeah im interested. how much are you wanting. and is that 1,500 total of all these brands mixed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Wcoxy I have a total of about 20,000 rounds of brass the cheapest way is 1400 rounds in a pre paid flat rate box shipped USPS for total cost shipped to you $40.00 your choice of winchester marked WW or Federal other way is UPS in the metal can for $45.00 send me a email with your email address and I will send pictures. WCC match brass $5.00 higher Thanks Karl AKA Perry Shooter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey Karl, sent it to your e-mail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did ya find out anything yet about the brass?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello I never got your ship to address Email me at work karlw@piedmontequipment.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, i just did, thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey perryshooter, got the brass sent check out yesterday. left you a message in your other address. and what is the little ring that goes around the brass? i cant remember. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello the little ring that goes around the brass "on some brass " is used as a stop for seating 230 Grain hardball bullets" some ball ammo is loaded with slightly undersize .450 Bullets and with automated machines the bullet would go deeper into the case then intended . this was put in the case before loading to avoid this problem. With reloading 2 things are different. #1 the resizeing die will be slightly smaller then even a factory case PLUS most 230 grain bullets you will be able to buy are .451 up to .452 Remember when I was talking about REMINGTON UMC and TZZ brass it is so thin the sizeing die does not squeeze it small enough on the inside to hold the bullet. and there is no way to put that little groove back in the case with the reloading tools we have. They are IRONED out when we fire it the first time. Let me know any time you need more brass . I would take advanage of the POSTAL pre paid package I don't know how long this will last they must be loseing money on the high weight items shipped this way . I sold 3000 rounds of 185 grain jacketed Wad Cutter bullets this way across the country for $8.50 would have cast $40.00 UPS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok and thanks, the brass works real good
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perry shooter,

Postings of items for sale is not allowed on the forums. The forums are supported in total by the Auction side and this runs counter to the health of the forums. Check your e-mail.

Best.