In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Classic Cast Press vs Lee Turret Press Kit

Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
Hey guys,
I am a beginner to reloading and hunting rifles. I have no experience whatsoever & need help.

My local gun shop carries mostly Lee Products & just a few of the other name brands.

I would like to get comments on the pros & cons of these two presses. I shoot only three times a month & will have to load for a .270 Win., 6.5x55mm, 7mm Rem Mag, .30/06, and .308.

Are these good beginner/ intermediate level models to start with or should I consider buying something else?

I know I don't want a progressive press, so I thought the Lee Turret might suit me best for the long run.

Also, what other things do I need to get set up with, your brand recommendations would be highly appreciated as I don't know anyone that reloads as of yet. I just hate to have to re-buy components because of ignorance, hence the questions. Thank you very much from a newbie whose been bit real bad by the bug! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello for the most part Lee make a dollar friendly equipment however support is not as good as some others . Old school "ME" like cast iron PRESSES aluminum is strong but has a lot of flex. I think most people will agree it is hard to go wrong with a RCBS Rockchucker in a single station press and with a progressive press Dillon has the best value and support.
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got the Lee single stage press and love it. It's every bit good enough for those calibers. I use the Lee Pacesetter dies as well.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Lee Challenger Press. Came in the Anniversary Kit. I just started about a year ago and have loaded 38/357, 40, 44mag with it. No problems thus far. I'm not sure how it will do when you start reloading those rifle rounds. I'm sure it will suit you just fine.

Like I said I bought the Anniversary Kit. It has everything you need but the componets and dies. Buy the Lee Carbide Dies, they come with a shell holder and are great quality dies. I believe Cabela's has the best deal right now. It's the perfect starter kit.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    For anyone who naysays Lee, they are probably thinking about old Lee stuff and aren't aware that Lee is now making cast iron presses, just as beefy as the RCBS and at a fraction of a cost (they use old rail stock). The classic cast and classic cast turret are both heavy, solid, great buys. I'd go with the single stage one to start, not the turret press. Also probably better for rifles in general.

Try to stay away from the Anniversary edition O frame Challenger press or the turret presses using aluminum (the older models). They are fine for light use but I have had parts break on them when doing heavy duty work. They are still in production concurrently with the new cast iron models. But again to reiterate, the cast iron "classic" series is a great choice.

Jon
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I broke my Lee Challenger press after about 5 years. Replaced it with the Classic, and I am well pleased with it.
    Pete
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could you educate me as to why in your opinion the single stage Lee Classic would be preferable over the Lee Classic Cast Turret model? Would it be because I'm loading rifle cartridges ? I was hoping I could use the turret one for ease of use and speed once I got the hang of it, instead of removing dies after each stage of the process, ie., after each stage of say 30 cartridges or so then switch dies to go on to the next stage with those same 30 cartridges.

Could you give me a better feel for what I should be looking at in this selection. Thank you! [8D]
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    For anyone who naysays Lee, they are probably thinking about old Lee stuff and aren't aware that Lee is now making cast iron presses, just as beefy as the RCBS and at a fraction of a cost (they use old rail stock). The classic cast and classic cast turret are both heavy, solid, great buys. I'd go with the single stage one to start, not the turret press. Also probably better for rifles in general.

Try to stay away from the Anniversary edition O frame Challenger press or the turret presses using aluminum (the older models). They are fine for light use but I have had parts break on them when doing heavy duty work. They are still in production concurrently with the new cast iron models. But again to reiterate, the cast iron "classic" series is a great choice.

Jon
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well both will work, don't get me wrong. General feeling is that a single stage press will be better for a few reasons. Off the top of my head, the fact that the force of resizing a rifle case is much greater than to size a pistol case, and the single stage press puts all the force on the center axis, whereas the turret press by design will be off center, i.e. a 1/3 or 1/4 to one side (depending on the number of turret holes). Not that I think that this would matter in practice, but perhaps for the most exacting benchrest applications it might. Also in the accuracy department is the fact that the turret is removable and ergo cannot by design be locked into the press as tightly as if you screwed the die in directly to the frame like on a single stage model.

Second, for a starting reloader, a single stage press is a great way to learn the ropes on something as simple as possible.

It's like saying that a shooter should learn on a .22 before moving to a Weatherby Magnum. Keep it simple to start, upgrade later.

Besides, the turret press is, I think, in a no-man's land of uselessness. For reloading rifle it wouldn't save me much time as after I full length size the case, I usually tumble it to remove the lube. Yes, some lubes claim not to contaminate powder if left to dry long enough, and could be loaded progressively, but I am * about things and want to remove lube before loading. Too much lanolin based lube could also effectively lubricate a case in a rifle chamber, resulting in greater bolt thrust and undue wear on the locking lugs- so I size all the cases, then tumble them to remove the lube. Then I prime with a hand primer tool (though the optional primer feed package for the turret would do this) which is much faster than the turret's standard single primer capacity priming arm, then put in a tray, charge from the dispenser, put in press, and seat bullet. To do this on the turret press, you'd have to get a special powder through die, or else you have to remove the case after sizing and priming anyhow. You'd also either have to hand pour the powder with a dipper or use Lee's autodisc powder charging system. And if you are going to go through all that, might as well get a fully progressive press and get it over with. For pistol, that's what I do; but I still use the single stage for rifle.

Still, a lot of guys swear by turret presses and if you want one, and it appeals to you, go for it; I wouldn't want one as it is too much trouble for pistol (too slow) and has no real advantage for rifle due to the case lubing issue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jonk, Thanks a whole bunch guy! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that very valuable explanation and based on that I'll purchase the Lee Classic Cast Single stage press. Everything you said has been taken with much consideration!

Could you recommend any manuals and books that I should purchase on reloading? [:D]quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Well both will work, don't get me wrong. General feeling is that a single stage press will be better for a few reasons. Off the top of my head, the fact that the force of resizing a rifle case is much greater than to size a pistol case, and the single stage press puts all the force on the center axis, whereas the turret press by design will be off center, i.e. a 1/3 or 1/4 to one side (depending on the number of turret holes). Not that I think that this would matter in practice, but perhaps for the most exacting benchrest applications it might. Also in the accuracy department is the fact that the turret is removable and ergo cannot by design be locked into the press as tightly as if you screwed the die in directly to the frame like on a single stage model.

Second, for a starting reloader, a single stage press is a great way to learn the ropes on something as simple as possible.

It's like saying that a shooter should learn on a .22 before moving to a Weatherby Magnum. Keep it simple to start, upgrade later.

Besides, the turret press is, I think, in a no-man's land of uselessness. For reloading rifle it wouldn't save me much time as after I full length size the case, I usually tumble it to remove the lube. Yes, some lubes claim not to contaminate powder if left to dry long enough, and could be loaded progressively, but I am * about things and want to remove lube before loading. Too much lanolin based lube could also effectively lubricate a case in a rifle chamber, resulting in greater bolt thrust and undue wear on the locking lugs- so I size all the cases, then tumble them to remove the lube. Then I prime with a hand primer tool (though the optional primer feed package for the turret would do this) which is much faster than the turret's standard single primer capacity priming arm, then put in a tray, charge from the dispenser, put in press, and seat bullet. To do this on the turret press, you'd have to get a special powder through die, or else you have to remove the case after sizing and priming anyhow. You'd also either have to hand pour the powder with a dipper or use Lee's autodisc powder charging system. And if you are going to go through all that, might as well get a fully progressive press and get it over with. For pistol, that's what I do; but I still use the single stage for rifle.

Still, a lot of guys swear by turret presses and if you want one, and it appeals to you, go for it; I wouldn't want one as it is too much trouble for pistol (too slow) and has no real advantage for rifle due to the case lubing issue.
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ABCs of Reloading is an excellent beginners book, as far as the how-to. I think the 7th edition is the most current. Add to that different loading manuals from the bullet and powder manufacturers for your info, and you have a good start. Just remember, NO DISTRACTIONS! We wouldn't want you to have an accident loading or shooting, would we. Good luck, and happy reloading!
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I have the Lee CLassic 4-hole turret and it is a very solid press. That being said, I do not reload rifle right now and have only used it for 45ACP and 9mm. For those applications it is great. I would agree with the others and say the Lee CLassic single stage would be the way to go. As far as books go, I like the Lyman reloading manuals.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Yo late-bloomer--I use the Lee Classic to load both pistol and rifle--

--There is a drawback though, if you're shooting in competition or training(using handloads) then the single stage IS PRETTY SLOW FOR LOADING A lot OF SHELLS--

--I just shoot for pleasure now, so I enjoy making sure EACH cartridge is as close to IDEAL as I can make it and also varying powders and loads for accuracy--

--Also, as a beginner you NEED to take your time untill you become confident in your procedure--Good luck

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As usual this forum rocks!!! [8D]

And I love it!!![8D] [8D] [8D]

Thanks everyone for all the info. and insight. It sure gets lonely thinking up all these situations I encounter with my inexperience and just when I get all confused ...

I post my questions and BOOM, just like that I get some real answers & comments that help me TREMENDOUSLY in making the right decision for my particular situation!!!

Again, thanks everyone!!! [:D] [:D] [:D]