In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vihtavuori loads for .270 Win.

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,717 ******
Anyone have any load data for Vihtavuori 550 powder for .270 win.? I'll be using 130 grain bullets and remington cases. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They only list N550 for 100gr pills in their manual (I downloaded it a few years ago, so there may be new info). The N560 is listed for the 130's and 150's.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/reloading.asp
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere,

Welcome to the forums!

With VV powders something I have found that I like with them is not just uniformity form lot to lot of the same powder. I like the uniformity from powder type to powder type. Low to high the powders change pretty uniformly. That being said a good starting point to load up from using 130 gr. bullets is 4 grs. less(about 7%)of VV N550 than the starting point for VVN560 of 56.2 gr. You would be safe to start at 52.2 and work up from there. Check your resources if you have them available.

I have had to do this with many VV powders with calibers they don't show loads for. and it has worked well with VV so far. So, if you have a way check that information but I think you will find it a good place to start with you VV N550 powder.

Something you DO NOT want to do is compare VV to a similar burning speed powder of another manufacturer.