In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm stw elk load

choukin9choukin9 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I'm looking for an elk load for the 7mm stw

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    choukin9,

No matter what we suggest, your rifle will dictate what works best, there's no way around working up loads for an individual rifle. I think the powder and bullet manufacturers have spent a huge amounts of money and time producing resources in the form of Reloading Manuals that can serve all shooters quite well for basic load data. If you don't want to invest in the resources, check the internet for the manufacturers websites and abbreviated load data.

You haven't stated a bullet type or weight that you want to load so here is a selection from another source:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=44

I've found the when I used a 160 gr. Nosler Partition that there aree 3 powders that performed best in my opinion:

Ramshot Magnum

Re-25

Retumbo

You need a slow powder to get the smaller diameter bore into balance with the large capacity of the case. This also dictates that a longer barrel is a benefit too. Lighter bullets and other powders don't necessarly yield greater velocity increases, the barrel length controls this. Stick with the heavier bullets with proper construction for the game you choose to hunt.

Good Luck with your testing!
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google up all the powder and bullet companies you like - most have loading data listed. Use a heavy bullet for elk. If you don't reload, order ammo from Midwayusa or Cabela's. Cross check any loading data you pick up on the web.