In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 K-Hornet is now singing

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I loaded a ladder using Lil'Gun and Winchester cases. That stuff is magic in the 22K Hornet. I am getting a little over 3,000 FPS from a 40 grain V-max using 13.1 grains. I went up to 13.5 but at 3200FPS it seemed a bit too hot for the little case. Primers were starting to get real flat using Federal small pistol primers.

The group shrunk to just over an inch in very strong gusty winds here in S. Ohio. I can't wait to try some loads on local crows.

If you want a fun little round to play with try the K Hornet. powder goes a long way reloading and the noise is just above that of a 22 pistol.

Comments

• Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just knew that Lil Gun was going to be a good fit :-) Got to get some for me.

Tim
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't be sory!
    Pete
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like another caliber I'm going to have to add to my "Want" list. Thanks for the report.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hope to find Lil Gun at the gun show this weekend to avoid has mat shipping, will pick up plenty of primers too. My Hornet is not a K, Ruger number 3 with reshaped forend minus barrel band rebedded and refinished.

Tim
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to use Small Pistol Primers in your Hornet loads.
    Pete
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dtknowles
    Hope to find Lil Gun at the gun show this weekend to avoid has mat shipping, will pick up plenty of primers too. My Hornet is not a K, Ruger number 3 with reshaped forend minus barrel band rebedded and refinished.

Tim

Where are you? Our local shop has Lil Gun for 14.50/lb(or maybe 14oz)
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in Slidell, Lousiana. Local shops do not have it and one pound jugs of about everything are more than $20.

I read about using small pistol primers, I guess I could try them and see how they do in my rifle.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At the gun show I got my jug o' Lil Gun and 1000 small pistol primers for less than 40 bucks.

Tim
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Meacham's recipe that has worked well for me in my standard Hornet, an Oregon 82 Custom Classic. 40 grain pill, 13 to 13.1 gr. Lil'Gun and Rem. Small Pistol Primers. No crimp, but inside of necks cleaned with 0000 steel wool. Shoots in the "3's" when I do my part. Haven't chronographed the load yet, but I suppose I should. Be interesting to see how velocity compares to the "K". In my chamber this load shows no sign of high pressure, but with the accuracy I'm getting I see no reason to search for the limit.