In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are you using for 7.5 swiss?

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
I am about to start reloading for my K31, anyone else already doing so? If you are, what bullets, powder do you like?

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I use bullets from 150 gr to 180 gr. I HIGHLY recommend buying the Redding dies - they are the ONLY set of dies on the market that are sized to the K31 chamber. Everything else is made to the 1911 chamber.

I use 284 Winchester brass - an easy neck up and load normally. Better quality brass than anything else out there.

Just about any medium to medium/slow burning powder works well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I HIGHLY recommend buying the Redding dies - they are the ONLY set of dies on the market that are sized to the K31 chamber. Everything else is made to the 1911 chamber

Hmmmmmmmmm...I have the Lee 7.5x55 Swiss set. You think that will give me problems with my K31??

Also, what bullet do you use (soft nose, full jacket, etc)? I have bought some reloads that are .30 cal soft nose and was told that was the an inexpensive route for just target shooting. Any comment on that?

Thanks!
    Shane
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When reloading the 7.5 Swiss pay attention to bullet PROFILE. That long taper can give you problems, even tho the round meets OAL standards, the blunter bullet you MAY have chosen is getting into the rifling when chambered. I was lucky, and scored what is probably a lifetime supply of milsurp for my K-31 about 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I havent bought any bullets yet. I may go with these from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=733374

150gr full jacket boat tail. I have a lot of H380, will probably use that as well.

Shane
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    What 11 said is true as well.

Why practice with what you will not shoot for distance or hunting?

Go with a little heavier bullet in the 165+ range.

I scored a bundle of 174 gr FMJ boat tail U.S. milsurp bullets. Have not done it yet, but would like to shoot at 600 yards plus.

Forgot - my rifles LIKE H414 (ball powder).
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sweaver,

Here is some reading you need to do before you make decisions like buying bullets and powder:

http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/#7.5

http://swissriflewebsite.com/theammunition.htm

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sweaver,

I will definitely second what dcloco says about the Redding Die for sizing. I believe it is #91235. It is the only die that takes the cases back to K-31 chamber size. That means a lot less squeezing down of brass.

What I have found that mine K-31 really likes is Nosler custom competition 168 gr. pushed out to around 2580 fps using 43.4 gr. of VV N150. None of the loads I have tried worked well when loaded hot. The loads I used that have worked the best were moderate speeds for what this round is capable of.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Most of what I reload for the 7.5 Swiss is with a 162 gr Lee cast lead bullet that I cast from wheel weights droped into water to harden them. I size them to .309", lube with liquid Alox, install a gas check, load with 14.5gr of Herco with a CCI LR primer. Easy on brass,cheap,easy on barrel.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee is coming out with a K-31 die for this catalog year. Not sure if it is out yet.

I use regular 1911 dies in my K31 loading efforts as well, and never noticed an issue. If the Redding produces more accurate ammo, or the new Lee die will, it is hard to imagine. I can shoot 1" groups with surplus M2 bullets over 38 gr of BLC2 on a good day, and never worse than 3" groups at 100y from a bench.

Though I agree, the gun is so inherently accurate, any bullet 150gr to 175 with any medium rate burn rifle powder will do well; past that it is a case of finding 'the load' for your gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the helpful advice and information! I am looking at the spec sheet that came with the Lee dies, says 7.5x55 Swiss. On the load data page it says "Do not use in Schmidt-Rubin Model 1889". The OAL and trim length measurements shown on the front match the length of the surplus ammo I have on hand. I guess I'm confused as to the reason these dies wont work for the K31. (??)

Shane
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sweaver,

It's because the Swiss K-31 were cut with a wider shoulder than the 1889/1911's. This is probably so it will feed better when dirty. If you look at the Swiss reloading manual you will see that there is a measurement up the side of the case. At the side of the case at the height the diameter of the case is supposed to be .460" or something like that. When you fire a K-31 measure the shoulder. You will see the should of a K-31 is bigger than the shoulder of the standard round fired though the 1911 chamber.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load for my K31 with a set of Lee dies and they work fine. It my not be as good as some other dies, but I have not had any problems.
  • Options
    kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use RCBS dies to form 7.5x55 from .284 Win, fire-form those to my K31's chamber (14.5 gr 2400 behind a 168 gr cast bullet), and, after that, neck-size/taper-crimp only because my ammo will only be fired in that particular rifle.

My best load to date is a Sierra 168 gr BTHP on top of 43.0 gr of H4895. Chronos at around 2550 fps which closely duplicates the ballistics of the original Swiss G11 round and easily prints 1 1/2" - 2" 100-yd (iron sight) groups.