In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good powders for 243 Winchester?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I've heard that Reloader 7 and 15x, H4350, and Accurate's 4350. Any others I should look at?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--I've had very good luck (UNDER 1/2" moa) at 100 YDS--

--Using 44gr of IMR 4831/70 gr BTHP Sierra and CCI BR2 primers--

--Most accurate is 37.7 gr AA2230c same bullet/primer mid .3" moa--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use H-4831SC with 100 grain Sierra GameKings on whitetails.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've had one almost 30 years, shot a lot of woodchurcks and some whitetails w it.
    i concur with the comments above, would just add 2 thoughts
    1. might also try W760 powder, mine has liked it
    2. for deer w 243 i'd suggest more of a premium game bullet like scirocco, SST, interbond. will make a difference if shot is at an angle, not broadside, esp on a larger deer.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had very good accuracy with Varget. I usually shoot 70g Nosler BT's as I mostly use it for Coyotes and smaller varmints.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******
    edited November -1
    H-380 was developed for the .243, I think. Also, h414 and 70gr. blitz kings make a heck of ground hog load.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

Look at the variety of powders mentioned as favorites. There's a good reason for the number of powders that work in this cartridge, its capacity and the large range of bullet weights. There isn't one powder mentioned that won't work to one extent or another. But there isn't just one powder that will cover the whole range of bullet weights efficiently.

The trick is that you need two powders; one for the light varmint bullets up to the medium weights then one for the medium weights up to the heavier hunting bullets. More powders let you have greater specificity with regard to the weights and designs but they aren't necessary when you start out building loads. You can always add them later.

As an aside from Hodgdon's website:

H380T was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when the late Bruce Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22 caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. H380 is also a superb performer in the 220 Swift, 243, 257 Roberts and other fine varmint cartridges.
    Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

Best.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would need some information like what is your barrel twist & what weight bullets you want to shoot. Then i think i could give you some decent advice.
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a brand new 1968 (i think )243 700 BDL that my dad bought in that year and it is brand new, almost. When i take to the range people are allways trying to buy it. IT will shoot a .211 with nosler 55 gr. ballistic tip and 414. The only thing done to gun since my owner ship is a sweet trigger job and floated the barrel. I use 414 in a 70gr. nosler blt. with almost the same results.
    Funny though it will not shoot a heavy gr. bullet to save its life. I to would like to find something out on this. tack driver on the light stuff and turd on the 90/100 gr. stuff. have or did Remington change the twist from then until now.
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense, that was good info on the H-380 it does shoot very well in the 243, but really well in the swift. 40 to 55 grainers shoot good in the my vt.
    thanks
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LongShot 220,

These are the twist rates listed for Remington models:

243 Winchester - 1 in 9" . . . . . . .Remington 660, 700, 788 (1969);
    243 Winchester - 1 in 9 1/8" . . .Remington 700, 7400, 7600, 7;
    243 Winchester - 1 in 10" . . . . . . Remington 700, 40-XB;

You can check your twist by using a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch and measure the distance advanced for one full rotation.

From Hodgdon's website:

.243 Win.

Bullet = 55 GR. NOS BT
    Powder = H414
    OAL = 2.650"
    Minimum = 45.0 / 3611 FPS / 37,400 CUP
    Maximum = 50.0 / 3950 FPS / 51,600 CUP

.243 Win.

Bullet = 100 GR. SPR BTSP
    Powder = H414
    OAL = 2.650"
    Minimum = 37.0 / 2800 FPS / 44,500 CUP
    Maximum = 40.0 / 2963 FPS / 50,600 CUP

The only thing besides twist that can have a potential effect on stability or groups is velocity. If your loads are significantly reduced or over-pressured, your potential accuracy or smaller groups may suffer. Other variables to play with are the primers and boattail bullets vs. flatbased bullets. The powder that you choose should fill the greater majority of the case for consistancy.

Best.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually heavier bullets will keyhole or be inaccurate in barrels with twist rates not designed for heavy bullets. My guess is that your twist rate will not spin the bullet up to a fast enough rate for accuracy. You can find out your twist rate for your specific gun & then call the bullet manufacturers like Sierra & they will tell you what will work the best.

quote:Originally posted by LongShot 220
    I have a brand new 1968 (i think )243 700 BDL that my dad bought in that year and it is brand new, almost. When i take to the range people are allways trying to buy it. IT will shoot a .211 with nosler 55 gr. ballistic tip and 414. The only thing done to gun since my owner ship is a sweet trigger job and floated the barrel. I use 414 in a 70gr. nosler blt. with almost the same results.
    Funny though it will not shoot a heavy gr. bullet to save its life. I to would like to find something out on this. tack driver on the light stuff and turd on the 90/100 gr. stuff. have or did Remington change the twist from then until now.
  • Options
    kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my two (or three) all-time favorite hunting rifles is a 700BDL of about the same vintage as yours...I bought it off a hardware store trade-in rack in 1971 or 1972. The piece has its original sporter-weight barrel and will still produce m.o.a. benchrest groups with Sierra's "Pro-Hunter" 100 gr. spitzer SPs loaded over IMR4350 and Federal #150 primers. Actually, I recall having the opposite problem to what you've described...never could get the darn thing to shoot really well with anything lighter than 80-85 grainers.

Bill
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used H414 in my 243 Win since 1970 and a Sierra or Nosler bullet. I have tried about everything and all those stick powders are just a pain. H414 is so user friendly and gives top performance. I use it in my new 243WSSM too. Doesn't matter if I use a regular or magnum primer