In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6MM/06 Ackley Improved

I just bought one of these and was wondering if any one could tell me the best way to neck down the 06 brass to 6mm so I can fireform it. Can it be done in one step and will the neck have to be reamed? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say no to the one step neck down of 30/06. Better to use 25/06.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rifleman1956,

Necking down 30-06 to 6mm-06 is more involved that just the process of necking it down. You should do this in 3 steps:

.308 down to .284

.284 down to .264

.264 down to .243

There are minor variation that will work just as well but this is the basic procession. Bear in mind that the reference size is for the bullets and you'll need to translate those into outside diameters of the neck. Once you are necked down, you'll need to expand the neck to the correct size and then neck turn the outside of the necks in order to reduce the neck thickness that built up with the sizing down. You may even have to do a minor inside ream in order to prevent a donut from forming. Remember that a top quality lubricant is your best friend at times like this. It only takes one time of galling and sticking a case in a sizing die to keep you from forgetting in the future.

I realize that a lot of folks have an abundance of 30-06 brass and feel that they can afford to use it for wildcatting but here's some advice from someone who has been this route and refuses to waste the amount of time and effort required. Don't waste your time. Buy or trade for 25-06 and have a good time with one move down in size and no neck turning or reaming.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    either come down from 25-06, or look at midway's brass section. They have started carrying brass already made and stamped for wildcats. I think the 6-06 may have been one of them.
  • Options
    rifleman1956rifleman1956 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for your input, it will help me alot. I checked and Midway does have the brass so that will be a life saver. Thanks Again Perry