In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4064 Powder

SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
How different would results be by interchanging IMR4064 and Accurate 4064? I can get Accurate cheaper and was just wondering if I would get less accuracy or if there is enough difference to matter.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just like the old days when there was a lot of reclaimed WW II powder on the market cheap and then IMR made the same number powder. example 4831 they were close but not the same With reloading close is not good enough. IMHO you need to drop back 10% on your load and then watching for pressure signs work back up.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get very similar results with AA4064 compared to IMR4064, but you do need to vary the powder charges to the Accurate data, and I've always gotten very good accuracy with AA4064 when I used it (primarily in a 30.06 and some 308 Win. rifles).
    Some cartridges and bullet weights perform a little differently, but for the most part they are very similar in charge weight and performance.
    Here's a link to Accurates data. It may not hurt to look at their data to see if it suits your criteria before you buy some :

www.accuratepowder.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, thank you both for the info. That's just what I was needing to know. I had planned to use Accurate's data, but I just wanted to know if they both performed about the same.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth. A big +1 on what Perryshooter says. You may drop back a couple grains of the same brand and type powder in a new can and work up but when changing brand names you need to go back to the lowest load and work up.

If you work up the right load AA4064 will be just as accurate as IMR4064.
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats the difference in price? just curious. a couple dollars would not get me to switch from the IMR.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's only about 3 bucks a lb less, but if it's just as good, why not? About $30 less per 8 lb. It adds up.