In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 loading...Die question

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Am I right when I say you only need a light crimp(if any) on a round in a Bolt action? Is the lighter the crimp the better?

Is it also safe to say that if these rounds will be used in the same rifle, all I need for sizing is a neck sizer? I assume upon the first time the brass is fired in my chamber it is fireformed to MY chamber, all I need to do is resize the neck and trim to length?

What say you about these 22cal bullets? To be used on Coyotes and varmints out of a 1-9 twist...max range of maybe 2-300yds

Remingon's 55gr Core Lokt Hollow point
" 55gr Pointed Soft Point

Hornady's Vmax in 55-60gr
Hornady's Interlock in 55-68gr Boat-tail HP's

Nosler's Ballistic Tip(not AccuBond) in 55gr

Combined Technology 55gr Silvertip

Sierra's Varminters or Matchkings in 55, 60, 65gr

I thought about using Berger 55gr Match bullets for paper work and trying to squeeze groups together. Anyone use these? Are they worth the extra $ over the Matchkings?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crimp should be sufficient to hold the bullet under recoil. Single loading (Praire dog ) needs little or no crimp. If you must crimp, of course the factory crimp die works the best, as it is not dependent on case length as is a roll crimp. Yes on the neck size question. You seem to have that concept nailed. You may have to full length resize after 4-5 loadings, or whenever you trim. Full length size THEN trim. As for the bullets you mentioned, I shoot the Nosler 55gr #39560 BT. You can cover 200 yd groups with a Quarter, My freind that I hunt with has the next consecutively serial #'d model 700 in the same caliber and shoots 2.5"groups with my load, and 1 holers with Hornady V max at 100 yds. Go figure! Both good bullets but rifles are creatures of strange ways.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no crimp is really needed. I use anything from .001" nk tension on up with no ill effects.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

You actually don't even need an additional crimp per se. Neck tension is generally enough for virtually all of the cartridges that I load for except when I magazine feed the real big shoulder pounding cartridges. Your .223 should be fine without the extra step, at least I've never crimped any yet.

The controlling factor for neck sizing only is the size of the rifle chamber and the STRAIGHTNESS of the chamber. A slightly crooked chamber or throat can require full length resizing to get the case straight again after every firing. A slightly 'egg-shaped' chamber will require sizing also after firing unless you really want to go to the effort of indexing your cases.

The 1:9" twist will stabilize bullets up to the 75 gr. Bergers and the 75 gr. Amax too. I use the AMAX for target shooting as well as longer range coyote and prairie dog shooting. The CT Silvertips are unnecessary if you shoot any of the other Nolsers. I would skip the Sierras and stick with the AMAX no matter what weight you choose to shoot. The 55 & 60 gr. VMAX Flat Base bullets usually perform great also.

Check your e-mail.

Best.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    cubslover,

You actually don't even need an additional crimp per se. Neck tension is generally enough for virtually all of the cartridges that I load for except when I magazine feed the real big shoulder pounding cartridges. Your .223 should be fine without the extra step, at least I've never crimped any yet.

The controlling factor for neck sizing only is the size of the rifle chamber and the STRAIGHTNESS of the chamber. A slightly crooked chamber or throat can require full length resizing to get the case straight again after every firing. A slightly 'egg-shaped' chamber will require sizing also after firing unless you really want to go to the effort of indexing your cases.

The 1:9" twist will stabilize bullets up to the 75 gr. Bergers and the 75 gr. Amax too. I use the AMAX for target shooting as well as longer range coyote and prairie dog shooting. The CT Silvertips are unnecessary if you shoot any of the other Nolsers. I would skip the Sierras and stick with the AMAX no matter what weight you choose to shoot. The 55 & 60 gr. VMAX Flat Base bullets usually perform great also.

Check your e-mail.

Best.

Thanks NN, another good round of advice!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.