In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another 308 win Question

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Getting ready to load some 308's for Whitetail hunting . Will be using a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip or the Accu-Bond bullets .
My question is this , what powder do you fellas use for your 308 win reloading ? I have been using IMR 4064 and win 748 . I'm shooting these loads out of a model 88 and out of a model 70 . Never used any other powder and was just wondering what you folks use .
Thank Ya Kindly
Rich D.

Comments

• Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been shooting the 308 for 40yrs, my dad started my loads. those two powders are hard to beat. I own 2 model 88s, and my pet sako bolt. both powders are consistant and very tight groups. Why mess with perfection? For the practical range, out to 350, its great. There is always room to play if you want but I just kept coming back to them. I do prefer the federal match primer.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have always used IMR 4895 in my 308 loads. My standard for 150 gr bullets is 42 gr with a CCI BR-2 primer.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    W748 is a good powder for the .308 Winchester. I also used IMR4064 quite a bit as it burns cleaner. I used both with a Speer 150 jacket boat tail bullet though. The bullets you mentioned should be fine on whitetail though. Work up a good acccurate load beginning with the listed starting load in one of the manuals and work up a half to a full grain of powder at a time until the accuracy starts to cease inproving or signs of pressure show up and then back off to the last load with neither sign and you have your load for that rifle. Unless going after dangerous game or very large game, accuracy and bullet placement are more important than velocity in most cases.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both powders you listed (W748 & IMR4064) have always given me great results too.
    Some other powders than load great in 308 Win. are Viht N140, RL15 and H. Varget. With heavier bullets (165-168gr) BL-C(2) has always given good results too.
    RL15 and H. Varget are not Temp. sensitive.
    Varget fills the case best (about 98% with a Nosler 150 and a maximum load). Charge weights with Varget are almost identical to IMR4064.
    Good Luck...........[^].
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varget and H-380 are my favorite
  • Options
    HuntSafeHuntSafe Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using Varget in my 88 - sweet spot with 150 gr Nosler BT for me is 46.0gr. I'm interested in the Accubond's but haven't seen any data yet (although I haven't looked hard).
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HuntSafe
    I'm using Varget in my 88 - sweet spot with 150 gr Nosler BT for me is 46.0gr. I'm interested in the Accubond's but haven't seen any data yet (although I haven't looked hard).

As per Noslers Tech. line you can use the same load data for the Accubond bullets as is used for the Ballistic Tip and Partition Bullets of the same weight.

800-285-3701
    www.nosler.com
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    375H&H,

I have tested very nearly all of the powders that will come close to working in the .308 Win. and there are 11 that provide exceptional performance with these mid-weight bullets. The others have listed quite a few of them but you should add these to your list:

Ramshot TAC

AA-2460

AA-2520

IMR-3031 (best in my opinion)

V V N-135

The .308 Win. could very well be one of the easiest cartridges to load for and there is a huge selection of top quality components.

Best.
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varget and Hornaday a-max 168's[:)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't taken the load Hunting yet, but out of my XBBR 43.8gr of Varget
    with CCI BR-2's get me about the same hole using 155gr A-max bullets.