In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 load for coyote?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
what bullet and load would you use in a 308 for coyote hunting?the longest shot is prob 300yds.i need a flat shooting load out too 300yds that will still kill the yote.thanks

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out to 300 yards the 110/125 would be the best weight with the one giving the best accuracy being the final choice. I've been reading excellent ratings on the Hornady 110 vmax. Back in the old days, I used 110 grain Hornady soft points or 125 Speer/Sierra depending on what shot best in the old 30/06's we banged away with. About 300 yards was the limit of hits and most of the time any hit was good enough. The last couple of years, I've been carrying a 308 heavy barrel for long shots and using 165 grain boattail softpoints. They carry up and buck the wind better over 300 out to 500 yards.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler 125 gr B tip is great for putting them down. Tears a big hole though. I will recomend a bullet for you but never advise people with a particular load. Sorry you will have to get that out of a book.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Using a 110gr pill over the top of 42gr of Imr 3031 or 44gr of 4895 have been good loads for my .300 savage (lever Mod 99), which has an ever so slightly smaller case capacity than the .308>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm NOT saying you can/should use either of these loads in your rifle without working up to them!
    The problem(s) you face with making a "screamer" .308 cal are that the light projectile "bleeds" off energy very quickly and you need to keep your eyes on pressure/signs of excessive pressure on the spent casings[:(]
    Just my $.02
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet in the 308 Win. with great success on varmits from ground squirrels to coyotes.
    The following load data is straight out of the Nosler Fifth Edition Manual:
    308 Win. -- 24" Lilja bbl
    Winchester case
    Federal 210 Match primer
    125gr Nosler B. Tip bullet
    Winchester 748 powder (W748)
    Starting load = 47.5 grs (3073fps)
    Maximum load = 51.5 grs (3214fps)

I had my best luck between 50grs and 51grs for accuracy in two different rifles.
    Past about 300yds I found the 150gr Nosler B. Tip bullet to be more accurate.
    The same components also shot well with H. Varget powder and AA2460 for me.
    Good Luck..............[^]
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    your squirrel load is my deer load, mules or white tale. Very accurate.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark308
    your squirrel load is my deer load, mules or white tale. Very accurate.

Tough squirrels around here [:D].
    We've got blacktail deer where I'm at, and that same load with the 125gr Nosler put a couple down just fine for me too [^].
  • Options
    HuntSafeHuntSafe Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Nosler 125 BT with 46.0 gr Varget - 'yotes disappear in my scope - they hit the ground and don't move till I pick em up. I'm also going to try Speer 125 gr TNT's.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady V-MAX 110 gr.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 130 grain soft point Hornady bullet with 46.0 grains of Varget and I have had great results out to 250 yards...it expands enough to kill them but doesnt explode so if you want the hide for anything, its there (I would use FMJ but thats illegal here)