In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder scale?

SSD0321SSD0321 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I am new to reloading and have been using the Lee dippers to load the powder charge. I am now loading with a powder that needs to be weighed with a scale but I am finding that when I weigh a known charge such as .7cc from a dipper that it weighs light on the Lee scale. I have been very careful to assure that the scale it set level and is zeroed. Can any one tell me if I am doing something wrong or if a difference of .2 - .4 grains will cause a trip to the ER or the morgue?

Comments

• Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .2 - .4 grains isn't dangerous as long as you're not loading max charges.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is less of a problem with rifle cases/slow powder than pistol cases with fast powder.

The scale helps you get dead nuts on. If you get a powder trickler you can dribble the last few tenths of a grain to be more accurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am loading 40SW and with Unique brand powder it calls for 6.2 and a Lee dipper is 6.4 can I use the dipper and be good? The 6.2 is a starting load, is it not?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is to always use a scale when you get near to max loads with pistol. Dippers are not a wise choice. like the other poster stated slow rifle powder don't pose as much of a risk. My other suggestion is to get a set of test weights DON"T trust a scale 100% for test weights look at auction sites MIDWAYUSA or buy a box of 17 caliber bullets and use one as a test weight keep this bullet in a box to always use as a bench-mark weight.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SSD0321
    I am loading 40SW and with Unique brand powder it calls for 6.2 and a Lee dipper is 6.4 can I use the dipper and be good? The 6.2 is a starting load, is it not?

Do you have a loading manual? What calls for 6.2 grains? Loads are given in a range of low to high.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have added that it is a bigger deal for pistol cases than rifles. Still nothing I would worry too much about if I wasnt near max. If 6.2 is starting load, you will be fine using the dipper.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Depends on what type and weight bullet you're using.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler #5 shows 6.2gr to 7.2gr Unique behind their 135gr JHP, no Unique data for their 150gr bullet.
    Speer #13 shows 7.2gr to 8.0gr Unique behind their 155gr bullet, 6.2gr to 7.2gr behind their 165gr bullet and 6.0gr to 6.7gr behind their 180gr bullet.

BTW, LEE dippers usually throw a lighter charge than the charts show.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All great advice everyone. I am using the loading manual published by Lee; it came with the anniversary kit I got to start with. I am loading 155 gr lead and the data in the book only has the starting loads listed as well as on the data sheet that comes with the die set. Is there a common understanding or know tolerance for plus or minus on loads?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Partly my prejudice (I hate LEE data), but get a real manual or 2. If your going to shoot lead bullets, than might I suggest the Lyman "cast bullet handbook".
    Real manuals show either a Min-Max range, or worst case they give you the Max charge and recommend starting 10% below that. LEE aborts the charge data to fit their "volumetric" system.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All great advice everyone. I am using the loading manual published by Lee; it came with the anniversary kit I got to start with. I am loading 155 gr lead and the data in the book only has the starting loads listed as well as on the data sheet that comes with the die set. Is there a common understanding or know tolerance for plus or minus on loads?

You've got yourself a nice set up. I have the same kit.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started out reloading 357 magnum years ago with a lee loader and dippers.

As others have stated, the Lee dippers always throw a little less than they state in their chart. I suspect they build in this safety margin to keep them from being sued when someone blows up their gun. There is one powder (Winchester 296) that you should be real careful about loading lighter than minimum charges, especially in magnum pistol cases. Most good loading manuals warn about this powder and you wouldn't want to use a dipper to try and throw a minimum starting charge with this powder. I don't want to be long winded so respond if you don't understand what I am talking about here and I will go into more detail.

I still use dippers occasionally to throw a charge into my scale pan and then trickle powder to the weight that I want. They can be very consistent if you are also consistent in the way you scoop up the powder.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever type of scale you use you need to have a set of weights to check to see if your scales are calibrated or not. If you don't check them how do you ever know you're using a safe load or not unless it blows up on you or if it doesn't. I perfer to know that before finding out the hard way.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=212586
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=612694

Smitty