In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to shotshell reloading

katch22katch22 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Hi, here are a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with, which will in turn probably bring up more questions [;)] For starters I have a 12 ga. and a .410 and a Lee Load-All II. I'd like to shoot squirrels, rabbits, crows and practice on some trap and skeet. I'm wondering what shells I need to buy in the first place to be able to reload them after I've saved up some empties. Currently for the 12 ga. I have some Winchester Super X #8 2 3/4 in. shells that have the silver base and 6 crimps. For the .410 I have some Winchester Super X #7 1/2 3 in. shells. The .410 accepts 2 1/2 or 3 in. shells and the 12 ga. up to 3 in. shells. The 12 is pump action and the .410 is single shot. Best I can tell, the Lee Load-All II can't reload .410's, so is there another manufacturer that offers a loader that will? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MEC offers a loader in .410.

Also, with the 12 ga, you can buy cheap trap shells cheaper than you can load them. You could come out ok on the hunting loads though.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally would buy Remington STS shells and then have good hulls to reload. I used to use Winchester AA hulls but I do not use the new "HS" (High Strength) hulls. The STS hulls load well and I can load them 6-8 times sometimes more. With the price of lead shot right now you can usually buy field loads cheaper than you can load them at least in 12ga. I don't shoot or load for .410 so I can't say there.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Lead shot prices have nearly doubled in the last year and is now the most costly component for reloading. Buying supplies in minimum quantities at retail price a 1 oz 12 ga load will cost you $4-$4.50 a box. You should be able to find factory loads for that or less but I suspect that will change when the current supplies in stores run out. Its' a no brainer for 410. I cant find a box in my area for under $9. Even with lead cost increasing you should be able to load 1/2 oz 410s for right around $3. I have had good luck with remington cases, fair to good luck with winchester and no luck with federals.

It has always confused me that lee never made a loadall II for the 410??????????????