In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.41 Mag. shotshells?

SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wanna load some shootshells for the Blackhawk for snake shootin'. Does anyone make/sell the parts needed to do this?

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not seen any capsules for .41. Speer makes the .38 and .44 ones. You could make them the "old way". When I was a kid they used to take .38's and use paper wadding over the powder and a paper wad on the top of the shot then roll crimp the top of the brass over the top wad. My uncle used to take a .38 case and put the case mouth down on the paper then hit it with a mallet to cut the wads out. I was really young when I saw this done but I'll bet some of the older guys have made them and can give exact instructions. Good luck.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Make your own like BHAVIN described or Stuff a 410 wad down over 3-4 gr of unique powder, cut the wad off level with the case, fill with shot to within about 1/6" of the top, place an inverted 38 caliber gas check or similar sized cardboard, plastic or foam wad INSIDE the wad pedals and roll crimp. I have a modified bullet seater that I screw down to push down the wad a bit while crimping. With the GC you do have a bit of blowout in the center of the pattern but I have not tried other wads yet.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, BHAVIN and Dak. Was just thinkin' about the .410 wad a minute ago. Karma, man.[8D].
    I'll give it a try. I'll probably cut some top wads from a sturdy piece of gasket materiel. Will try with different shot sizes, probably 7 1/2, 8, and 9. Gotta go see what Dad has in under his bench. I let you know how the test turn out.