In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 comparisons

JGKJGK Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Does anyone have "real life" experience with the Garrett 540 gr Hammerhead versus the PMC 350 gr Penetrators on Grizzly bears? I was told by the people that I bought my Marlin 1895 that the PMC load was a "poor mans" griz load. Hoping to find someone here that has the experience with both loads in real life situations.

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off welcome to the forum. I have no experience with either of these loads, but I do have a couple more suggestions for you. Give a good and hard look into Buffalo Bore and/or Grizzly ammunition. These along with the previously mentioned Garrett ammo, are loaded hotter then the average 45-70 load and since you have a Marlin they are safe to use in your gun. I'm not saying that the PMC won't work because I think it will, but I like the higher velocities and energies of the other 3. Just my opinion.

Jon
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just did some reading up on the Garrett cartridges and I am very intrigued. The guy concentrates on mastering the .44 and 45-70 cartridges and by the sounds of it he has definitely done so. The 540 Gr. Hammerhead looks to be a devestating load on anything. Here is an article with some reviews(notice the second article and click on the picture), wow!!

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp
  • Options
    JGKJGK Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Garrett 540 gr. Hammerheads are great to shoot from the bench...like throwing a shotput. The PMC 350 gr. Penetrators are a different deal altogether. They just plan HURT to shoot. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but they HURT to shoot. That little Marlin jumps up about 6 inches on the shot. Those loads are HOT. I was told when I bought my Marlin that the PMC loads are designed to break down both shoulders of a griz at 200 yards. The guy that I bought the gun from gave me 5 box's. Just wondering which would be better inside 50 yards...too close for comfort range. Did my research on the Buffalo Bore ammo and liked the Garret better. Just can't find anything on the PMC 350 gr. Penetrator loads....did I say that they hurt to shoot!!
  • Options
    918 collector918 collector Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I wonder if anyone has any information about the other end of the scale. I have an old (70's) H & R Shikari rifle in 45-70 that was my first centerfire rifle. This is a great old handy "tote" gun and a fun shooter but not built for the heavy stuff. I am looking for an economical plinking load. I've got a lot of old sheathing lead, probably close to pure lead, and a Lee mold of about 340 gr. I'd like to keep this in the Trapdoor Springfield range. Does anybody have any idea what the upper velocity limit would be for soft bullets or should I just go ahead and mix in some 50/50 bar solder? Also, any thought on economical powder choices? I've always tried to avoid fillers.