In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primer difference

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Reloading components are getting hard on the budget if you shoot a lot.

I have noticed that Remington primers tend to run about a buck a thousand less that Winchester or Federals.

Does anyone have any comments on the Remington primers for both rifle and pistol?

I DON'T SEE TOO MANY REMINGTON PRIMERS USED IN BENCHREST MATCHES.

Why?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello and greetings in the new year. If you load pistol and use a progressive press some primers are slightly out of round and hang up in primer tubes make sure you try a 100 pack or so before buying in bulk I buy in bulk at Camp Perry. Champions choice ,champions shooters supply , and fin and feather. then you have a big supply of the same lot number and don't have to work up the best load over and over. Cheers Karl
  • LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Federals and the Remington both, and depending on the load I am putting together determines witch primer I put in. I have a load for my swift that shoots real good with the feds but when I put the Remingtons in it tightens up the group big time. On other loads its the other way around.
    the fun one can have at the gun range[:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    federal gold medal always seem to be the best for me,...well 90% of the time anyway.
  • LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The federals do shoot very well and use them most of the time. I use the 210 gold match on 90 percent of my loads. I have a load that works the best with cci's but its the only use it for that one load, the rest of time its Federals.
    They are worth trying for sure.
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded with winchester primers recently on a 223 wssm with a lee hand primer and found the winchester primer to be much harder than federal and also found that getting the winchester to seat properly was difficult.
  • bludaoxbludaox Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One buck / thousand rounds !!! Stay with what works.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle only-
    I had some good luck with the CCI BR-2's, federal gold, out of my .308 and 30-06, 25-06. My 22-250 still works best with Rem Mag. primers.[:)]
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paid $124 for 1000 Remington XEL22610 primers.
    And they ain't even here yet!
    Stan
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stankemp, did you really mean $124.00 for 1,000, not 10,000. Man, it is the Haz Mat shipping that is killing me. I have to buy primers locally because of the cost of shipping. I hope to buy primers at a gun show this weekend and expect to pay $18 per 1,000 plus sales tax. 1,000 rifle primers last me a while, now pistol primers is a different story. Primers are more than half of my cash costs for pistol ammo. I cast my own bullets from free/bartered lead and I have such an excess of brass that I sell it. At effectively 2 cents per round the primer is more expensive than the powder.

Tim
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim:
    The price is right.
    Those are the only electrically fired primers available.
    When you're the only game in town......
    Stan
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I havent had good luck with reminton primers. I stickt o Federals. But they might shoot good in your rifles or handguns. Give it a shot and see.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only tried Winchester and CCI in large rifle and LR mag. In my sporter weight A bolt. I see no difference in velocity or accuracy but the WW's don't feel tight in the pocket and the CCI's do, so I use the CCI. I do see a bit of an improvement when I use the mag primer with H414 - I see no difference with the regular primer or BR and anly slow stick powder. The BR's work good with H414 too.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I manage to burn up a lot of Remington 7 1/2 primers in a 454 Casull and a few of my 6br's like them as well as the 450 CCI.
    I'm also having real good luck with the Russian SRM primers and they are very cost effective.