In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45ACP load for banging steel?

50shooter50shooter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I was wondering if any one here had a good load they used for shooting steel plates with a 45 auto loader? I recently purchased a STI Trojan for this purpose and am not sure of what bullet or load to go with.
I have a huge lot of cast 230gr bullets.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello your 230 grain cast should be fine and any reloading manual should have a factory ball load of say 820 to 840 FPS I mainly shoot bullseye but from the steel plate shooting I have done I like a fast BULLSEYE or 231 powder it has faster cycle time for recoil recovery. I like soft lead bullets I think they stick to the steel plates and transfer engery fot a longer period of time not just bounce off like hard or jacketed bullets Your mileage may vary ."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use 5.3 gr of 231 with 230 gr cast lead bullets. A lot depends on what level of velocity you want. This load has always worked for me on pepper poppers and stop plates.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is right up my alley!

My load has been 6.0 grains of Unique for 25 years pushing a Lyman 225 Grain RN cast bullet. It is my favorite steel load.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use 5.2 of W231 with a 200gr speer gold dot. Federeal 150 Primer. This is a good recipe for my Springfield armory Champion. 4 inch barrel.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow perry that's 193 pf, i.d.p.a. only requires a pf of 165, and steel usually does not have a pf

4.5 grains of tightgroup

5.1 grains of 231

3.9 grains of clays, all are within 165-170 pf, will cycle faster than you can go with adequate recovery
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 1911A1 fan no offence intended and I value your opinion but I guess I have gotten use to shooting a ball gun in DCM/CMP matches all thease years 1972-2005 . I am skinny 6'1" 150 pound old 64 Years man but my favorite quote "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" is the spec's of 830fps on 230 ball and I did make the PRESIDENT 100 ten times and Root metal 4 times .At Camp Perry [8D] before cmp started letting you shoot reloads and 9MM . wimp loads are ok for paper and I use them in my WAD GUN but if I want to knock something or somebody over I love 230grain BALL.[:p][:p][:p]Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911 just got owned!
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's moving there perry, most factory +p loads do not meet that pf, besides i wont do that to my gun

kb btw i hold three state tittles, fastest, and most accurate, and the Midwest regional for the past two years, and am ranked as master
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 70's and 80's I shot bowling pin matches, Combat Matches(later to become IPSC, IDPA to get away from the bad old term "combat"). The load I used was a 200 grain swc lead bullet, 5.2 grains of W231 powder(later increased to 5.4 grains), a Federal Large Pistol primer, and wcc match brass. Worked for me.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    that's moving there perry, most factory +p loads do not meet that pf, besides i wont do that to my gun

kb btw i hold three state tittles, fastest, and most accurate, and the Midwest regional for the past two years, and am ranked as master

The load Perry Shooter is using is a Military ball load duplicate they are not "hot" or +P in any load manual I have. Are we missing something?
    Your loads are just above what I shot for bulls-eye; 4.5 grains of 231 with a Lyman 200 gr. cast bullet. They are very mild compared to Military ball.