In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody have a 243 wssm?

How do you like it? Gander Mountian is having a big gun sale the manager of the firearms dept. told me since I buy so much from them that he would sell me either Rem 700 or Win 70 it this cliber for $380 they both are stainless synthetic 24 inch barrel guns.

Is this caliber hard on barrels? I have read that 223wssm is very hard on barrels

Comments

• Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I helped my brother in law break in A model 70 in that caliber.Very accurate cartridge.I would assume that it will erode the throut out in 1000 rounds or under,but a lot depends on how fast you fly em and how hot your barrel gets.I am going to attempt reloading those eventually,but I can see they might be a bit tricky(really thick necks).Sounds like a great buy though.I would buy one myself.
  • Options
    redboneusaredboneusa Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning ABolt in 243WSSM. It is a breeze to shoot and carry. I have dropped several Kansas deer with it and am impressed with how it stops them. So far the factory loaded 95 grain ballistic tips is all that I have hunted with, but I plan on working up some deer loads for it. I have rolled up a good coyote load for it using the 58 grain V-Max. At about 3800 fps it groups about 7/8".
    I really doubt that you need to worry about wearing out the barrel. The Brownings have chrome lined barrels and chambers, don't know about the Remington or the winchester. Just don't let the barrel overheat, from what I've learned that's real hard on them.
    I'll bet that which ever rifle you decide on will be a shooter.

Good luck
  • Options
    cwalsh2cwalsh2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester stealth 243 wssm. I read a lot of negative stuff about it but mine shoots well, the action feeds smoothly and I like it. I shoot 87 gr v max and 90 gr BT with 42 gr R-19. It is too heavy to carry but was bought for a longer reang prairie dog gun. Most 5 shot groups are dime size. C Walsh
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning in 243WSSM and it is very very accurate with factory loads or any handload I have tried. Just under an Inch at 100yds is the worst, most any load goes into 3/4". I like H414 because it runs like water and Nosler 95gr BT or CT. The CT bullets do make cleaning a snap. Handloads don't go any faster than a regular 243Win but a 243WSSM Win Supreme measures 3250fps. Either way you need not wory about bore life if you watch your heat. What I like best about my gun is it puts the first shot from a clean cold bore in the same place as the hot dirty bore. So it's a keeper. Down side is those short fat rounds are not as easy to load and you give up one round in capacity. Also you can't seat bullets out past Spec and have them feed, at least not in an A-Bolt. All things considered I would go with a standard 243 Win - more user friendly - but I am keeping my Medallion.
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M70 Coyote in 243 WSSM. It's my favorite long range varmint/target rifle. I've done a little work on it, e.g. bedding, etc. I've also replaced the trigger with a Kepplinger adjustable set trigger. In the unset mode, the pull weight is 2 lbs. In the set mode, it's 8 oz, so mine isn't exactly factory standard. I also have a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50mm LR scope and a Harris bipod on it.

With the factory Winchester Supreme 55 grn BST's, on a good day from a solid rest, it will shoot 3 shot groups into about 3/8" at 100 yards, and 3/4" groups at 200 yards. It shoots like a laser beam too. I'm using a 250 yard zero, which gives me a 298 yard point blank range, so the line of flight is never more than 1 1/2" higher or 1 1/2" lower than the line of sight. Hold over at 400 yards is about 7" to 8".

All of the Winchester M70's and Browning WSSM's in 243 WSSM have chrome lined bores. I wouldn't worry about burning out the barrels as long as you don't overheat them. They should be good for thousands of rounds. Remington never made a rifle chambered in the WSSM's. Cooper makes some models, as do Olympic Arms, and maybe another AR manufacturer or two.

If you'd like to get a lot of good information on the WSSM's, check out the WSSM Zone http://wssmzone.com/forum/ . My M70 Coyote in 243 WSSM is the one on the top in the following photo. My Kimber 84M Varmint in 25-250 is on the bottom.
    oc04_003.jpg
  • Options
    rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello;

person in our hunting club got a really great deal on his 243 wssm. the gun store even gave him 2 boxes of shells. rifle shoots great!!!!

the big surprise, now he has shot up those 2 boxes of shells he can't find factory loaded ammo in ANY store in our area, even the store that sold the rifle to him. he is now looking into reloading for the rifle. a rifle is useless if it ain't got ammo. thanks.

rp
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I like the .243 WSSM, but it isn't a great advantage over the .243. That was my thought with it after what little reloading I helped a friend do with it.

I think the best of the bunch(WSSM's) is the 25WSSM. I have one in a Black Shadow and love it for reloading and velocity. I wanted one in a coyote or a heavy barrel to improve on long range accuracy with it. The thin barrel is just not condusive to super accuracy. Although the rifle will generally hold 1 MOA out to 600 yds.