In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 and 10mm

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
Got a good amount of experience reloading for 357, 5.56, 7 X 57, 7.5 Swiss and 6.5 Swede and now have enough brass saved up to make it worth while to reload 40 and 10. Don't feel like experimenting with powder/bullet combinations. Would like to use 155 gr in the 40 and the same or 180 in the 10mm. Would be nice to be able to use the same powder. Prefer to use a powder that fills the case to near full, eliminates the possibility of a double charge. Shoot the 40 in a Glock 23 and the 10 in a Smith 1006.

Suggestions..............

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be very careful with the 40 in the glock do not load over max and inspect cases very carefully The head of the case is unsported in a glock load only jacketed bullets in factory barrel If a case is hard to size throw it away.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Plan to only use jacketed bullets, already have them resized, none were hard to run through the resizing die, all brass has been fired once. Know of someone who went to hotrod his Glock loads and had an unhappy experience, he tried to pass some of his handloads to me, I tossed them out. Something like 16.5 gr of BlueDot with 155 gr bullets. They blew is piatol up but they ain't going in mine.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Despite your friends bad experience Blue Dot powder loads great in a 40 S&W and the 10mm too.
    It fills the case well, is accurate and gives excellent velocity.
    I usually load 155gr Speer Gold Dots in fairly serious ammo and cheaper plinking bullets of the same weight with the same powder charge in the 40 S&W.

Speer #13 Manual lists this:
    40 S&W -- 4" bbl
    155gr Gold Dot bullet
    Speer Case
    CCI 500 primer
    Blue Dot powder
    Starting charge = 10.0grs ( 1113fps )
    Maximum charge = 11.0grs ( 1221fps )

I load this with good luck:
    40 S&W
    Winchester case
    Winchester WSP primer
    155gr Gold Dot
    Between 10.2 and 10.5grs Blue Dot
    OAL between 1.097" and 1.105" groups best in my gun with the Gold Dots and a little longer at 1.132" groups best with the plinker bullets.

Good Luck.................[^]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Only one that comes to mind would be AA5. It is good for 40 and would be ok for 10. My personal preference is AA5 for 40 and AA7 for 10mm. Any way you go will be a compromise if you use just one powder. AA7 will also work in 40 S&W, but a full case with a 155 will not be a full power load.