In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 760 in 243?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Anyone ever used it? From looking at some load data it looks like a promising powder.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

I've probably burned 16 pounds of the Winchester 760 in the last few years. It's not my favorite but it fills a niche with a few cartridge/bullet combinations.

As with most ball powders, you can expect that you will need magnum primers on some occasions. It is temperature sensitive so test between seasons. No matter what the manufacture suggests, the improvements between the mid-'60s and the mid-'70s helped quite a bit but they didn't solve all of the slight failings. It still fouls somewhat, contrary to what Winchester states.

Winchester 760 burns just a bit faster than IMR-4350 as the testers state. My tests allow me to use it in the .243 Win., .257 Robts., .260 Rem. and the 7mm-08. I started with the .250 Savage where it will handle the full range of bullets. Bear in mind that with the smaller diameter of the .243 Win., pressures will build slightly faster than with the larger diameters. The heavier bullets in the 100 gr. range will only allow for a roughly 90% case fill at maximum pressure.

You will still see some muzzle flash even with the additional deterrents added to the granules. Winchester had to add some uncoated grains back in to reduce the fouling a bit more. It's not horrific, just a tad noticeable.

Best.