In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

powder advice (2)

[8D]-Yesterday I asked about pro's and con's for various powders in cal's .223/22-250/30-06/.270 and 45LC

-now I mentioned the colts use in my Win '94 and you guys remimed me that it is a PISTOL CALIBER--I know that but

--In the lyman 48th edition of reloading it has a section on the TC Contender using a 14" bbl and starts getting into the RIFLE powders, because of increased bbl length !!!!!

-OK-

--Now I was refering to the Win '94 which has a 16" bbl and I wondered about my original questions concerning AA2230c/IMR4895/IMR 4831--

NOW FINALLY--have any of you guys experimented in this area or try'd a little slower powders, using the longer bbl Contender/Win '94-etc--

--I only have ONE combo pistol/rifle and thats the Ruger 45lc Blackhawk/Win '95 45lc--

any thoughts ????

--[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO

Comments

• wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot say that I have ever loaded 45LC for a rifle. I have loaded for Ruger revolvers and FA revolvers in 45LC. As I am sure that you know, both are strong revolvers. It is my experience that I can get all of the velocity that I am interested in getting from these 45LC revolvers with 110 or 296. If I want more veolicity, I go to the 454. I have never tried 4895, nor do I plan to try it.

I strongly recommend, in the particular case, the slower pistol powders. Some, with more experience than I have had, may enlighten you more than I am able to do.

Good luck.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Thanx wtroper-I didn't express myself quite good enough-I didn't mean to use the SAME load for both the pistol and Win '94, I was just thinking (trouble) of trying for a little hotter loads in the Win '94 with it's 16" bbl--

--Well I think I'll just forget the whole thing, I've got enough rifles to play with so I'll just stick with standard pistol loads (I've got a bunch of them too)--

----Good day--JIMBO
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    i've used 4227 and 4198 in the .44 mag. for both rifle and pistol so i would think you could do the same with the .45 colt, also 2400.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]thanx Mike, you probably have the came combo as I--

--Did the IMR load seem under powered for the pistol????

--I mean the 4227/4198 is a lot slower that most of the pistol powders, so there's probably some muzzle flash from unburned powder, or did you keep the load pretty tame ???

--it's crazy-the 45 lc/250 gr HP calls for (max) 24 gr IMR4227
    the 44mag/240 gr HC calls for (max)23.1 gr IMR4227

--whats up with that?? Might not be a bad idea to play with those IMR's in that area-(in the rifle)--

--thanx MIKE
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "the 44mag/240 gr HC calls for (max)23.1 gr IMR4227"... that about the load i was using, no muzzel flash to speak of but a lot of unburned powder. good velocity/sd tho (8" barrel), also worked well in the rifle.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimbowby,

Muzzle flash is caused by the extremely hot plasma (gases) not cooling enough by the time it exits the barrel. Unburned powder stays as unburned powder, it doesn't ignite once it exits the barrel.

Best.