In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder advice

--Hey guys I think most of you remember that I've used a lot of AA2230c for my ,223/22-250 and .243--QUESTION

--I've got a lot of IMR4895/4831, can you guys give me any pros-cons on the IMR stuff in my previous mentioned cartridges and use in 30-06/270 and even 45LC Win mod 94--

--I'm not asking for loads I know thats individual-just some pros/cons thanx

--[^][^]--JIMBO

Moved to the Reloading Forum...

Comments

• Options
    luv_the_huskersluv_the_huskers Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe should post this is the reloading forum.....
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "IMR stuff" loads good in your mentioned cartridges with some exceptions.
    1. -- IMR4895 :
    A. Loads well in 223,22-250, and 243.
    B. It also loads well in 30.06 with best results with lighter bullets. The original 30.06 military load for the M1 Garand and 1903/1903-A3 bolt rifles was about 48.5grs of IMR4895 with a 150gr FMJ bullet for around 2700-2750 fps (so as not to damage the Garand semi-auto with the wrong pressure curve). With heavier bullets in the 30.06 you'll get better velocity with a slower rate powder.
    C. It loads OK in a 270 Win. but you will not get the velocity of the slower burning powders like 4831, etc. Expect to lose approx. 150-200fps with maximum type loads and a 130gr bullet [V].
    D. No good in 45LC [V]. -- Too slow a burn rate.

2. -- IMR4831 :
    A. Too slow a powder for good results in the 223 & 22-250 [V].
    B. It is not the best choice in the 243 and is on the verge of being to slow for optimum results in this cartridge. That being said, alot of people use it in the 243. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it does OK, especially with the heavier hunting type bullets (90gr and heavier) in my experience.
    C. Loads great in both 30.06 and 270 [^].
    D. No good for 45LC [V]. Too slow a burn rate.

Get a fast burning pistol powder for your Model 94 45LC .

Hope this helps,
    Good Luck...............[^].
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'll work. 4831 may be a little slow for your smaller cases. OK for the 06, some others may be better. 4895 should work in most if not all your calibers (I don't load 223s). The IMRs are not as handy thru a powder measure. Otherwise, I've used them all.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did not notice your reference to the 45 LC. These are rifle powders. As was mentioned by others, I would not use them in the 45.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4895 is a great powder for 223, 243, .270 and 30-06. It is one of the most versitile powders sold.

IMR4831 is fine in the 30-06 and 243 with heavier bullets.

Neither is useful in the 45LC.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimbowby,

IMR-4831 is a good powder for use in the .243 Win. when you use the longer heavier bullets such as the 100 gr. Noslers and the 95 gr. Hornady's and Noslers. It is a good choice for and will work well in the .270 Win. with the full range of bullets from light to heavy. The 30-06 can use this powder but performs better when the bullet weight are towards the heavy end of the spectrum.

IMR-4895 works great in the 22-250 Rem. with nearly any weight bullet that will work with your twist rate. As the bullets get to the very heavy end the load density goes down. It will work O.K. with the .223 Rem. if you have the twist rate to support the longer, heavier VLD bullets like the JLK, AMAX and Bergers. If you have a varmint weight twist, skip it. It works O.K. in the '06 to a limited extent only, check your reloading manuals for performance. I don't bother since there are too many other, better powders. It's way too fast for the .270 Win.

Best.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--A truly wealth of valuable info, thanx everso guys, I was getting tired of loading that AA2230C-remarkably accurate, but it is so fine ball-it takes a lot of care to remain consistent--

--Thanx again for the great info and I'm going to copy this thread--good day

JIMBO
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimbowby,

Well, you certainly chose the extremes of powder shapes! Fine ball to course Lincoln Logs that won't stack like cordwood inside the case... But these two powder will shoot like bandits when you get the loads worked out and tested. The only one of the IMRs that I like better is 3031 for the .308 Win.

Best.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] Thats the story of my life Nononsense, Dam# that AA2230c can be SO Accurate, but such a pain to use--
    --I got a bunch-10lbs of IMR 4895 5 yrs ago when Midway had a sale on it (also the 4831) and man you're right from tiny little friz balls (2230)to pencil lead logs--

--you're right, they don't "stack" in the case like the 2230 does, but they're SO MUCH easier to measure/use, well I'll load up a bunch and try the 4895-we'll see-

--Thanx again pal-JIMBO
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4895 has been the most consistent in accuracy using various bullet weights in .243 for me