In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cast bullet loads for .30-40 & .30-06

I have been trying to find cast bullet loads for my Krag and my '03.

I have a mold for a 200gr RN w/gas check and what I desire is a pleasant plinking round for the range. And a reduced load, I don't desire to burn up a lot of expensive powder. Any ideas? All the books I have show load for jacketed bullets.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Lyman has lead loads for rifles if the new manuals don't get one of the older manuals off of FLEABAY I don't like to put loads on the internet my typing skills could lead to a finger check I hope you understand Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wood butcher,

Probably the best resource for cast bullet development and loading information is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. You can find these used or new for a very reasonable price. This is a resource that you can read and use forever. Spend the money, buy it and read it.

The Speer Reloading manuals contain a huge variety of cartridges and loads which includes the 30-40 Krag, 30-06, as well as reduced load suggestions. Any of these (there are several) can be found used and new.

Hodgdon Powder Co. publishes "Youth/Reduced" loads on their website and in their Reloading manuals using H-4895. Reduced loads can also be found using IMR-4198, IMR-SR-4759 and AA-5744. Accurate Arms lists loads for the 5744 on their website. The Speer manual has the other powder and loads.

As an aside, the prices of lead, copper and powder are on the rise and significantly. The term 'inexpensive' will be relative to the markets for these components. My lead cost has gone up 50% and copper 40% so if the new prices surprise you, go look at the stock market and the world's governments orders for ammunition.

Best.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard Lead is going for about a dollar a pound shipped to your door on eBay. That is less than 3 cents per bullet but gas checks are about 2 cents each. This makes for 5 cents plus labor for each bullet. If you are just plinking not using a gas check will save you 2 dollars per hundred if you don't mind reducing your velocity.

I was taught that you should seat gas checked bullets so that the gas check was still in the neck of the case. If you go with gas checked bullets pick a mold design that will let you do this. The era of free lead is about over.

Tim
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    11 gr of Red Dot or about 17 gr of 2400 would be fine light loads. SR 4759 and IMR 4198 are also favorites of mine.
  • Options
    wood butcherwood butcher Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thaks guys I appreciate all the help
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Modern Reloading by Richard Lee has a great section on reduced loads and the way to select the right powder.
    As for lead I can still get it free at the tire shops (wheel weights) and it works fine.
  • Options
    wood butcherwood butcher Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have a copy at home, I'll check. And yes I use wheel weights also, and think they work just fine.