In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder load for 148gr .38 wadcutters?

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
What brand and type of gunpowder should I use in my .38 spl 148 grain wadcutter reloads for target practice in a S&W .357 magnum model 66? And how many grains should I load in each case?

Seems like way back in 1978, the last time I reloaded, I was using 2.5 grains of Bullseye powder in my primitive, one round at a time (will still have to use it now) RCBS reloader. Everything worked fine, but the Bullseye was kinda dirty and I wonder if any better powder has been developed in the last 29 years?

BTW, I scored big today. I drove from the KC area to Wichita KS, and purchased 7,500 Speer 148 grain ,38 special wadcutter bullets, 1,500 small pistol primers and 600 .38 special cases for $216.00 from an older guy who has lost sight in the center of his right eye and can no longer enjoy shooting nor has a need for reloading. His left eye is still fine. I told him that there are shooters who are young and have two good eyes but still shoot with their right hand using their left eye. Not many, but some. I asked if he that thought of trying that and he kinda looked at me like I was stupid (heck, it could work) and said no he hadn't/wouldn't try that. He was a really nice older guy. Amazing how many people who are gun people that I meet that are really nicer than the general population.

Moved to the Competition and Reloading forum.

Comments

• Options
    El KabongEl Kabong Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I reloaded for the .38 special, I used 3 grains of bullzeye on a 148gr WC....and it worked great, enough oomph to cycle my old S&W 52. I had lots of luck with that loading
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try 3.3 of WW231. It burns real clean and should make you happy. BTW, there is nothing wrong with Bullseye. It is still a great powder capable of fantastic accuracy.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If those are hollow base wadcutters, 2.8 to 3.1 gr of Bullseye, 3.0- 3.3 gr 231. Hotter loads= less accuracy. Bevel base wadcutters, different load. Use with .38 special brass only. Source- Speer reloading manual #10. Please exercise caution when asking for load data on the net- you can get from the powder company websites- and there are nuts out there.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    If those are hollow base wadcutters, 2.8 to 3.1 gr of Bullseye, 3.0- 3.3 gr 231. Hotter loads= less accuracy. Bevel base wadcutters, different load. Use with .38 special brass only. Source- Speer reloading manual #10. Please exercise caution when asking for load data on the net- you can get from the powder company websites- and there are nuts out there.

Thank you and you are corrrect. I was hoping that with my past experience with Bullseye I would be suspicious enough of any crazy data offered that I would check further. And thanks for reminding me that yes, they are hollow core wadcutters. Although I don't think they are beveled. Doesn't look like it nor say it on the box.

Is the #231 the brand name of the powder you mentioned?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox, The 231 they are refering to is Winchester 231 powder. It's a very fine ball powder and loads great in the 38 Special.
    I loaded Bullseye for years in the 38 Special with 148gr wadcutters and 3.0 grs. Great short range target load and not much good for anything else.
    Good Luck.............[^].
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load 3.1 gr 231, 2.7 gr Bullseye, and 3.1 gr of HP38(it is basicaly Hodgdons version of 231) with 148 HBWC.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR- yep, Winchester 231. Bevel base wadcutters are solid base, as opposed to hollow base. Got a big hollow, it is not a bevel base. Advantage of bevel base is for production loading- since both ends are the same, you can't get one in upside down.[:p]