In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

IMR 4895

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I'm looking for info to load 243 with IMR4895 using the 100 grain Nosler Partition bullet. My loading manuals have loads for the 95 gr. but not 100. Can any lead me to a book that has loads for the 100 gr. using this powder?

Thanks,

I'm moving this over to Competition Shooting and Reloading forum.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for info to load 243 with IMR4895 using the 100 grain Nosler Partition bullet. My loading manuals have loads for the 95 gr. but not 100. Can any lead me to a book that has loads for the 100 gr. using this powder?

Thanks,
    edited November -1
    Anyone use it. It's an extruded powder correct? I'm trying to compare it's grain size to H110. H110 flows out of my powder measure like water, including coming out the side.

Will th 4895 do the same?
    edited November -1
    Just had almost 10lbs of this powder given to me , but never used it before . I always used 4831 ,4350 , or 4064 ( all IMR ) Anyone ever use it / what can I use it for ?
    I know I can look it up in the reloading manuals , but thought I could get some input from someone that loads with it or has loaded it in the past .
    Most of my loadings are from 243 up to 338 win mag , and anything in between for Pa. black bear and Deer hunting .

Just did a search in this forum , and found that most folks use it for their 223's , if thats the case maybe I'll have a use for it after all , once in a while I'll load a bunch of 223's for the Bushmaster [:)]
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4895 is not like 110. It is not "lincoln-log" big, but does not work through my measure as well as 110.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4895 is my favorite rifle powder. Even the vaunted Varget takes a distant second place to it. It is a single based stick powder of a medium lenght. Careful consistent operation of the dispenser handle can yield loads within about 2/10th's grain.

If you want less variation just trickle the last few thenths of a grain.

There are such a broad spectrum of cartriges and calibers that can use 4895 that it would serve well as a lone powder on the bench for most rifle needs.

H110 is a ball powder, much faster than 4895. H110 is a pistol powder.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    4895 is my favorite rifle powder. Even the vaunted Varget takes a distant second place to it. It is a single based stick powder of a medium lenght. Careful consistent operation of the dispenser handle can yield loads within about 2/10th's grain.

There are such a broad spectrum of cartriges and calibers that can use 4895 that it would serve well as a lone powder on the bench for most rifle needs.

I know 110 is a pistol powder. It's a spherical powder as well. Very fine. My powder measure hates it. It squirts out all over the place. Are all spherical powders fine like that? I am pretty sure that I'm going to use 4895 for my 243. I plan on weighing each charge unlike throwing 5 and weighing one like I do with my pisol rounds.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

I know 110 is a pistol powder. It's a spherical powder as well. Very fine. My powder measure hates it. It squirts out all over the place. Are all spherical powders fine like that? I am pretty sure that I'm going to use 4895 for my 243. I plan on weighing each charge unlike throwing 5 and weighing one like I do with my pisol rounds.

More or less; the ball powders vary in size and to somewhat lesser extent shape. The deterrent coatings control burn rate along with size. With 4895 you will get a few crunches from time to time as the measure shears a kernel of powder but it will not squirt out like 110 does.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

Any flavor(IMR/Hodgdon, Accurate arms{2495}) is about the same. Very good performance in most cartridges. I use it from my 9.3mm down to my .223 with good success in between for all loads.

You do get a crunch once in a while from kernels getting cut in half but that is to be expected to some degree with any extruded single base powder. It does meter very consistently (+-1 gr.) in my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. so well that for most reloading I do I don't rely on weighing each charge. Only the really tight performance ones get measured.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you are leaking ball powder I bet you have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. [:I]

If so the Lee does VERY well with 4895. No leaks. No grinding. No chopping. No binding.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use more 4895 than any other rifle powder. I use it in 30-06 for M1 rifle, 308, and most medium capacity rifle cartriges.
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hogdons H4895 in my .243 (4 of them) and I wouldn't use anything else. Course i"ve never tried anything else. I can split holes in paper, so I never considered anything else. I also use the Lee perfect powder measure. Mike[:D]
  • The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost is exactly right.
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4895 is excellent for 30-06. I weigh charges with it and wouldn't recommend trying to use a volumetric dispenser--it is too coarse.
  • blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikecarol63
    I use Hogdons H4895 in my .243 (4 of them) and I wouldn't use anything else. Course i"ve never tried anything else. I can split holes in paper, so I never considered anything else. I also use the Lee perfect powder measure. Mike[:D]
    Quite the oddities my .243 does better with the IMR 4895