In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ogive choice on bullets

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I am going to bust the bank and get back into making .22 and 6MM jacketed rifle bullets.

the .22's are going to be from 40 to 55 grains made from fired .22 brass with a flat base.

The 6MM will be from 60 to 107 grains with most made from commercial jackets and some from fired .22 brass with a flat base. The 107's will have a rebated boat tail.

My confusion is in chosing a ogvie for each caliber. I know 6S seems to be very popular; what ogive would you use and why?

Comments

• Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't much experience with that caliber, but for .308 I am using an 8 ogive. Why?? Because that is what Corbin recommended.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958,

Let me know so I can get on your backorder list... I'm thinking you will do well.

I know for long range bullets I prefer the longest ogive you can get. Shooting out to 300 yds. or meters isn't going to make a great deal of difference. There is some difference don't get me wrong, just not enough for the average shooter to overcome with the differences the bullets make. The average shooter and novice benchrester will have a lot more issues with things like parallax, wind, mirage etc, at 300 than the bullet difference. At 300 and beyond the differences will start to separate and the advantages really be shown of the type bullet you are going to make.

I have been waiting for some rebated boattail bullets from Wildcat bullets Canada in .257, 130 gr. RBBT's. I'm thinking this is going to be a great idea for long range shooting. You lose much less in the initial firing and still get the benefits of the boat tail.

-good luck with this venture