In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Varget Powder

Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
I'm still getting my stuff together to start reloading very soon. I plan on starting to reload first for my .270 Win., .308 Win., and my 30-06.

I would like to start off with using a powder that can load all three of these calibres to keep things a little simple at the start.

Would anyone recommend Varget and Winchester LR Primers because this was recommended to me by a gun shop?

Looking for favorite recipes for Sierra Matchking 168 Gr.& 175 Gr. My .270 Win. probably will look into a Sierra Matchking 130 Gr., 140 Gr., 150 Gr.; Loads will be for target then maybe later try some hunting loads with Nosler & Hornady.

I'm still reading my Lyman's reloading manual for the second time and I'm getting really excited as a new-comer to this hobby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I jump in and get my feet wet! Thanks to all!

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Late-Bloomer,

I would recommend H4895 or H4350 Extreme. Work up decent loads in summer or winter and you don't have to worry about losing velocity in the winter and too hot of a load in the summer.

Barrel length is somewhat of a key here. With a 24" barrel you can use the 4350 all the time. With a shorter barrel sometimes with lighter loads you can be sending a lot of powder downrange. That's expensive and hard on accuracy. Heavier loads you can go with the slower burning powder in a shorter barrel.

So:
    For .308 I use 42 gr. of H4895 behind a 168 gr. SMK for about 2600 fps. Work up to this as it is a near max load. It is not max. but good to work up to it.
    For 30-06 I have used 55 gr. of H4350 behind a 175 gr. Sierra Game king. That is again a notch or two off max. work up.
  • Options
    badlandsbutchbadlandsbutch Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just ran 41.4 grs Varget, 168 FMJBT, Mil cases W/Win LR primers through chronograph. 10 rds Avg vel. 2580., Average Dev. 16. fired in M1A.
    Very consistent powder and backs up what your gun shop says.
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For .308 I use Varget and BL-C(2). .30-06 I use Accurate brand 4064.

Varget does well in the .308, but I haven't used it in .30-06 - and dont load for .270
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Late-Bloomer,

The disparity between these 3 cartridges is enough where you might not be able to develop a top notch load for each. Choosing Sierra bullets may not lead to top notch loads either. I realize you have to start somewhere so here's what I've worked out.

Working with the 3 cartridges and a moderate weight bullet for each I suggest that you try V V N-150 for all three and try using the 175 Sierra MKBT for the .30 calibers and the 135 gr. MKBT for the .277 caliber. Sierra just had a huge price increase so beware. The N-150 will get you a nearly full case for the '06 and .270 but you may need to go to a slightly compressed load with the .308 Win. You should also look at Re-15 and check the load information for all three cartridges. I think it will work O.K.

Varget is too fast for the .270 Win. It'll work but the load density will be low.

Check through and spend some time reading the online resources for the powder manufacturers. They all have a reloading section.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior-
    Could you explain a bit more, I don't quite understand your post. I don't want to hurt accuracy or just burn up excess powder.

I would like to understand this theory if you don't mind.

All my rifles are 22-inch barrels & bolt-actions, sorry I didn't include this earlier.

And are their good books you can recommend on reloading because this is just what I'm looking for. I want to reload efficiently and with theory behind it, if that makes any sense.

Any info appreciated!
  • Options
    Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my best results as follows :
    varget for the.308 gm210m federal primer winchester cases 175grsmk .. IMR 4350 .270 9-1/2 remingtom primer Norma brass 130gr any brand bullet, IMR 3031 30-06 9-1/2 rem primer rem. brass 165gr sierra. my powder charges may exceed normal an you should start in the middle ground an work up to your own load. if one powder is your idea, either 4350 or 4895 in either IMR or Hodgens will work well in all 3 cases
    my 308/26" brl. .270 23-1/2 brl./ -06'' 24 brl < has been sold an replaced by a .243
    [Lymans 48th Edition load manula works for me]
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using 45 grains of Varget in Winchester Cases, and Winchester primers, behind the Hornady 168 grain A-Max Bullet. this duplicates the Hornady TAP rounds used by Swat teams. This is very accurate and consistent, out to 1000 yards. For the 3006, I use 50 grains of Varget, in Winchester cases, behind a Hornady 168 grain FMJBTHP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the replies they are greatly appreciated! Only one problem now, when to begin? Again, Thank you!!!