In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-256win mag???

ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was considering what might make a good single shot falling block "rook rifle" rimmed cartridge. While digging thru a copy of "Cartridges of the World" I came across the old 256winmag. Then I got to wondering if necking down the 357mag to 25cal was good how about necking it down even farther to either 6mm or 22cal. If the 256winmag can get a 75g 25cal to do 2500fps, then a 50g 22cal should go quite a bit faster. So I pose the question about any wildcat history that anyone here might know about. Thanks....

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds a lot like the 22 Rem Jet, but I don't have my references handy right now.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I instead would look at the 22 K Hornet or even the 218 Bee . IN my opinion necking down straight pistol cases have very high % of rejected cases Splits, Wrinkled Side walls as well as wall thickness that has to be reamed.
  • Options
    cshellzcshellz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    can u help me locate 256 ammo for my thompson contender win mag quote:Originally posted by ern98
    I was considering what might make a good single shot falling block "rook rifle" rimmed cartridge. While digging thru a copy of "Cartridges of the World" I came across the old 256winmag. Then I got to wondering if necking down the 357mag to 25cal was good how about necking it down even farther to either 6mm or 22cal. If the 256winmag can get a 75g 25cal to do 2500fps, then a 50g 22cal should go quite a bit faster. So I pose the question about any wildcat history that anyone here might know about. Thanks....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 22 K Hornet is my first choice. I'm just exploring other possibilities. I'm not adverse to wildcats and I have a bunch of 357mag brass that could be converted to 256winmag or 22-256winmag. The way that shorter fatter cases are showing better properties make me wonder if this might be an interesting combo. I've looked thru my reference books and I don't see the the 22 remjet, but if it was a factory cartridge it should be in my copy of "Cartridges of the World" . I'll have to dig around some more.

Ok, I found the page on the 22 remjet(299). Why did they taper it so extreemly. Never mind at only 2400fps it is not what I had in mind. I have also come across info on case forming 357mag brass into the 256winmag as being fairly difficult. If 25cal is hard, getting it down to 22cal might be just too much bother to be worth it.

New contenders I've come across are the 17 hornet improved or the 17 bee improved. They look to be simple conversions and generate very respectable velosities.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remember that the quoted Jet velocities are from a revolver, and that the revolver had a cylinder lock up issue if the pressures were run up (not a issue with the Contender. There is also a Ackley version of the Jet

Have you looked at the 225 Win? Or is that a little more horsepower than you want?
    For something based on more common brass, there is the 219 Donaldson Wasp and 219 Zipper, both are made from 30-30 brass. Also there are a bunch of 22's that use the 303Brit for the parent.

Now if you want to really go crazy, there is always the 22 Stark (22-44Mag) to make your hair go gray from forming cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    An ackley Jet might be just what I've been refering to as 22-256wm. I see that Jet brass isn't all that hard to come by, so maybe it is a contender.

Would anyone have an easy reference to the 22 rem jet ackley's probable dimensions and velosities?

The 225win, wasp and zipper are probably too large for the action I'm intending to use. The various hornet, bee and 256wms are all positively contenders. Should the others end up being useable then they will go back into consideration.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Per Donnelly, the Jet has a case capacity of 17.39gr water, While the AI version has a capacity of 20.16gr (he shows the K-Hornet at 14.80gr water).
    Base to shoulder .996
    Shoulder Diameter .371
    Shoulder length .107
    Shoulder angle 30deg
    Neck length .192
    Neck Diameter .248

He shows a 40gr bullet over 17.5gr of 4198 going 2975 (per Ackley).

My source shows the SAMMI spec for the Jet to be 40,000psi, using Accuload a 20" barrel and that pressure for the AI version, Bullseye, AR2207 and H-4198 can all get you into the 3000fps range. Upping the pressure to 50,000 and ADI's AR2207 powder looks like it can get you up to 3100fps (the other 2 aren't shown at this pressure)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tailgunner1954,

That's the ballpark velosity I was thinking a 22-256wm would get to. So, what I really want to think about is the 22remjetAI. Decisions, decisions; well thats part of the fun in planning a new custom rifle.

Thanks agin for all the help.

Ern98
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could neck down the .357 Maximum to .22 and get more case volume. That one is not far behind .222 Rem.