In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bad groups---what is going on????

RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
I made a batch of ammo yeilding sporadic 4-inch groups at 100yds--not bad for a 22 caliber pistol with an eight-inch barrel but unfortunately I'm talking scoped 30-06 off a bench rest? I am using the same weighted charges, same swaged bullets, same fire-formed trimmed cases, same primer, powder, OAL, clean gun/cool barrel, scope mounts are tight. I am baffled. Any ideas? Loose nut behind the trigger maybe?

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the scope. It might be messed up. If that doesn't work, swap out the scope to one you know is working right.
    Pete
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Yo RustyNail--I don't know what rifle you have, But I had the same trouble with my WBY Vanguard a few years ago--

-It would shoot 2,3 in groups with Military '06 ammo-I started shooting some handloads in it and got nothing better thsn 2 in groups--

--If everything else checks out OK use a magnifing glass and check tre BBL/crown EDGE, sometimes a burr of copper or carbon will build up on one side-check it out-

--[:D][:D]-JIMBO
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check every screw for proper torque. A loose bedding screw will drive you nuts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]-Yo RustyNail--I don't know what rifle you have, But I had the same trouble with my WBY Vanguard a few years ago--

-It would shoot 2,3 in groups with Military '06 ammo-I started shooting some handloads in it and got nothing better thsn 2 in groups--

--If everything else checks out OK use a magnifing glass and check tre BBL/crown EDGE, sometimes a burr of copper or carbon will build up on one side-check it out-

--[:D][:D]-JIMBO

Jimbo
    I AM referrring to a Wetherby Vanguard 30-06 with a spindly light hunting barrel. Time to sell this excellent first/second shot hunting rifle to someone who hunts!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Check every screw for proper torque. A loose bedding screw will drive you nuts.

bpost1958
    I have only recently appreciated the concept of barrel bedding (indirectly) after reading one of JustC's posts explaining the frequency/vibration/wave pattern considerations. I think I'm going to cut my losses on this gun a get another. Thanks for the idea though.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Well RustyNail-I can't say as I blame you-I was able to get my WBY Vanguard VXL down to .444 in(.243 cal), 3-shot group at 100 yds, so I also have two WBY's 30-06 and they are both good to 1/2" grp, but BECAUSE of the light sporter BBL it heats up so fast and spreads the groups. The first,2nd and third shots are really X ring , but without the heavy BBL, I'm afraid the grp spreads, (my 22-250) has a bull BBL and it's also a WBY Vanguard.-

--The 30-06 WBY sporter size rifle is not to condusive to Bench shooting-so good luck whatever you decide to do--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats some subMOA gaurantee on those weatherby's hows that go gauranteed to shoot subMOA groups at least once with at least one kind of ammo but who knows which one. HA HA
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be tempted to try another scope as well. Even a WTHBY sporter rig should be able to pull off better than 4" even with a load it doesn't like.

was the first 2-3 shots nice and tight and then they drifted?? if so,..try shooting 1 round and allowing it to cool. Repeat this up to 6-8 rnds. If they stay tighter,..it is simply a barrel issue.

try running the dollar bill trisk after it gets hot and the shots drift off POA. If it contacts,..then some barrel channel may need to be releived.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, this gun x-rings consitently when cold or allowed to cool nearly completely.

The dollar trick shows no change on a hot or cold barrel.

The gun is fairly light, has really good wood, feeds and functions perfectly and is very accurate on cold barrel shots. I guess it needs to be in the hands of a hunter. Time for a GB auction[:D]

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I'm going to try a .223 or .243 with a bull barrel 1:9. I'm looking at the Rem X-10 pretty seriously.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I have a wby vangaurd in 300 wby mag it will shoot 5 shot groups in the .7-.8 range but with this cartridge the barrel heats up fast so I always take a 223 or something else to shoot while it cools besides the gun cooling my shoulder needs the break[;)]