In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage F/TR...

Got my Shooting Times today..(I know, I know..one of those rags)...and they had a write-up on the new Savage ..every round tested went UNDER 1/2 MOA...at 500 yards.

One group....0.88

most groups...1-2 inches...500 YARDS...stock rifle. 1142 dollars !!!!!

Anybody even seen one ?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also read this article and found some discrepencies in the data. Like the smallest group at 500 yards was .88 yet at 100 yards only .50 while the best 100 yard group was .25 but a larger group at 500 yards. Also the fact that the factory ammo outperformed most of the handloads puzzled me. The handloads ranged wider from .88 to 6.88 at 500 yards. Nice looking rifle but pretty heavy to tote in for a setup hunt like mentioned.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a long range precision varminter chambered in .223 and my handloads keep me down in the upper fives to lower 6's at 200.I have been hoping Savage would make a .308 in this model.They could have easily made this new rifle a left port.I will still have to buy one though.

After reading more carefully I see that they will be available in left port.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball,

The ones being photographed currently are all prototypes so production isn't available to us as the general public. One of the Admin. folks over on Long-Range seems to have an "in" with someone at Savage so his comments might have more substance. His log-in is Asa Yam.

www.long-range.com

Best.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage was asked when they would be available. They say end of march.I will purchase one in .308,but I must say,I am not hot on the stock design.I will also have to see if I can get that trigger for my lpv.
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball - what did you mean by "one of those rags"? Something I need to know?
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Nononsense; Thanks for the heads up...appreciate it.

Boogey;
    Many people critize the monthly magazines as being merely mouthpieces for the Manufacturers of gun/ammo/ ect...professing to 'never read them'...and pointing to those that do as being rather 'low brow'.

Perhaps...I have been reading them for 50 years...and have collections of most of them back to the beginnings...not totally complete...
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh...I see. I must be one of those "low-brow" people too. I get a couple of those monthly magazines, as well as a couple of bi-monthly, and of course, Gun Tests. Of course, I usually research from several different sources before making a purchase. Ah well, it's not like I've ever cared what people think of me anyway [:D]