In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Backout die 1/16th inch

SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
My question is...how can you easily estimate (measure) 1/16th inch backing a die out of a single-stage press. Using a carbide die you are supposed to back the die back out approx. 1/16th inch after it touches the shell holder(so the carbide die does not touch the holder and perhaps "shatter"); This is estimated as the approx. thickness of a mathbook cover(?). Is it safe to say that 1/16" = approx. 1/8 turn of the die? Is there a safe way to measure this in "die turns" (or fractions therof)[?] As alway--thanks for your valued input.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The die has 14 threads / inch (7/8-14 is standard for dies).
    1/14 = .071" / full turn.
    1/16" = .062, so it's just shy of 1 full turn.
    BTW, a match book cover is normaly .015-.016 thick, (about the same as the point gap on older cars).
    The main thing is that they don't want your shellholder to hit the carbide ring at the mouth of the die.

As a side note you can do a similar thing with the bullet seating stem. On RCBS dies (for example) the seating stem has 20 threads/inch, or .050 movement/turn. Want your bullet .012-.013 deeper in the case? Simply turn the adjusting screw in 1/4 turn.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you adjust it down to where it just clears the shell holder when no shell is present you will be fine. The slop in the press hinge pins will add to the distance when under the pressure of sizing a case. The big no-no is to "cam-over" on the carbide sizer. Carbide is brittle and may crack. The 1/16" is not critical as long as there is some space.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On dies that are nitride, titanium, carbine, etc., I start the resizing die down a few turns, run the ram to the top and then slowly adjust the die down until it just hits the top of the shell holder, then I lower the ram, back the die out 1/8th turn and lock the screw down to hold it firmly, then I slowly raise the ram again to make sure I have a little clearance. This is all it takes, a "little" clearance. It is not critical as long as the die is not contacting the die or the gap is so large as to not resize the case properly.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a nickle to set the space, it is slightly more than needed but has always worked find for me. RJSnow