In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5x55 loads

does anyone have any good loads for a 6.5x55 cz 550fs thanks

Comments

• Options
    Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't worked up a load yet, but yesterday I took out my CZ550FS 6.5x55mm for the first time to the range.

Only had time to sight-in my scope @ 50 yds. After those 5 shots and zeroed-in, I shot the remaining 15 bullets in 5 (3-shot groups) all into one ragged hole. This has never happened to me before in any of my 8 other rifles that have been also newly acquired. I was totally surprised! The only thing that has come even close to this is my only other CZ which is a 550 American Model .308 Win. it shoots under .5 if I do my part.

I was shooting PMC Ammunition 6.5x55mm 144 Gr.FMJ. I was hoping to check out the velocity of this round on their website and try to look for a recipe to duplicate it using its stated velocity and bullet weight/type. I don't know if this will work I'm just a new beginner worst than an old beginner but I am willing to give it a try.

Maybe someone could chime in and tell me if I would be wasting my time or not.

I hope some of this might help in your load development. I just wanted to share these things to a fellow CZ550FS 6.5x55mm.

Also, I didn't experience any problems because of its full-stock, i.e., accuracy & repeatability as others sometimes might discover!

I wish you all the very best in your load development for such a fine rifle!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sixgun willie,

My favorite loads I use in my CZ550 American are as follows:

I have used 40 gr. of H4895 Extreme behind a Norma Golden Target with very good velocity and accuracy. I didn't chrono the load but I zeroed 3.5" high at 100 yds and was dead on at 300. Accuracy was well under an inch at 100 and 2.25" at 300. The Nosler book calls out for 37.0 gr. of H4895 behind a 125 gr. partition. I like that load. I have also used 35 gr. behind the 140 Partition and the 140 gr. Hornady SST. accuracy was every bit as good woth these as with the Noma bullet.

dcloco,

All I can say about those Norma Golden Targets is they flat shoot! Incredibly good ballistics with them. I found the 40 gr. load was about max. I have no idea where the Saami limits are on this though. Only that I didn't get any pressure signs Typically the older cartridges are limited to Saami specs based off a rifle that legitimately could only push 45K psi.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

My favorite loads I use in my CZ550 American are as follows:

I have used 40 gr. of H4895 Extreme behind a Norma Golden Target with very good velocity and accuracy. I didn't chrono the load but I zeroed 3.5" high at 100 yds and was dead on at 300. Accuracy was well under an inch at 100 and 2.25" at 300. The Nosler book calls out for 37.0 gr. of H4895 behind a 125 gr. partition. I like that load. I have also used 35 gr. behind the 140 Partition and the 140 gr. Hornady SST. accuracy was every bit as good woth these as with the Noma bullet.

The 6.5x55...one of the most overlooked calibers. 3.5" high at 100...and dead on at 300 yards.....THAT is flat shooting.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sixgunwillie
    does anyone have any good loads for a 6.5x55 cz 550fs thanks

Feed that thing some 140gr Partitions and R-22. R-22 was my powder of choice in my 550 FS, excellent accuracy/velocity. I have recently switched to DP 86 in both of my 6.5x55's. It is a surplus powder from AA that is truly amazing in my 6.5's. Sorry to say that the supply of DP 86 has dried up. When my supply of DP 86 is gone, I will go back to R-22.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    my favorite load for the swede is 46.0 gns. H4350 and a hornady 129 gn bullet seated just short of the rifling. this has worked well in every thing I've shot it in.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree Mike, 46.0 grain IMR 4350 and a Hornday 129 grain jsp works fine in both my Swede 96 and my Ruger Mk II. I use a Federal primer.