In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullets for 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schonauer

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I am seeking advice on bullet selection for reloading this old cartridge. My concern is its modest velocity. Proper selection of a bullet that will perform on deer sized game animals is important. I know that this round's reputation was developed with a 160 gr bullet that provided deep penetration on larger animals as well as adequate expansion. It would be neat to be able to produce something similar to this historic performance. However, I am very concerned that the 160 gr and maybe the 140 gr bullets produced today are designed for much higher velocity cartridges. I have experience loading the 6.5 JDJ Contender which pushes a 120 gr bullet @ about 2400 fps and performs very well. I would appreciate any thoughts on the specific bullets that might be most appropriate for it. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

I have used and am using some of the Speer Hot-Cor 120/140 Spitzer bullets with good performance. They are reasonably priced and yield acceptable (MOA +,-) groups while still opening up at the lower velocities. Nosler Partitions are just as good and Ballistic Tips will work as long as you stay away from major bones. I don't think there's a Spitzer that WON'T work. The Barnes bullet can be avoided without giving up anything. Some of the custom bullets are super such as North Fork Bullets and Hawk Bullets. Don't forget the other Spitzers either: Remington Core Lokt, Sierra and Hornady. The classic is the Sierra 160 gr. Semi-Spitzer.

Best.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense - Thanks for your thoughts. I have used the 120 gr Speer in my 6.5 JDJ with excellent results. Glad to hear that you think that the 140 will also perform. I became "gunshy" about bullet selection while loading for a friend's contender in 7-30 Waters. Using Sierra's we were just punching 7mm holes through animals. Have you tried the 6.5 129 Hornady? I have read good things about it in 260 Rem.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

I have used the Hornady 129 gr. Spitzers but it was a while ago. I have a friend that I shoot and hunt with who uses the Hornadys and Speers most of the time simply because they work and he likes them. I do not use the SST Interlocks. My absolute favorite though is the AMAX when used in cartridges generating more velocity over longer distances.

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Have you tried the 6.5 129 Hornady?"... this is my favorite bullet for the 6.5's. works well on deer and is just long enought to be seated out close to the lands.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    There is a problem in my 6.5 regarding pointed bullets. The spool magazine binds on the case if I use pointed bullets and don't insert a little "shoulder" that I fashioned out of epoxy. So for complete reliability I remove the shoulder and use RN bullets. My favorite are some discontinued Hornady 140 grs. I also have a couple hundred Norma 156 gr that do very well. If I am planning on being in a situation that may involve a shot past 100 yards and for some reason I want to use the 6.5, then I put the epoxy in and load up with old style Nosler 125 gr Partitions.

things just haven't worked out for me to shoot something with the Noslers, so can't say how they work. Have taken down deer with the 140s and they work fine. Seems like they had about a 200 fps advantage over the 30-30 and a higher BC bullet, plus now I use a B&L scope.