In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

243 componets

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
The 243 I bought sports a 1:9.25 twist. I've come to the understanding that 85-100 grain pills will give me my best results. With the 95 grainers probably being most beneficial.

I plan on using H4350 for these load as it seems to be the most commonly used propellant for this caliber.

I've been checking out Sierra, Remington(bulk PSP's), Speer, and Hornady Bullets.

These will be used on Varmints, Coyotes, and Paper. The latter more than anything.

From Hornady:
V-Max
SP
BTHP
all in 87gr

95gr SST

and their 100gr SP or BTSP

My local Sportsman's Warehouse has these ranging from 14.50 to 18.99/100

Sierra

Gameking in 85 or 100gr sizes
Varminter in 85gr
or the Prohunter in 100gr

These run about the same price.

Speer

100gr Grand Slam

Remington
100gr CoreLokt or pointed soft points seem like a favorite among reloaders/hunters alike.

They are also the cheapest at 10.99/100 from Cabelas.

Of course it depends on what gives me the best accuracy out of said gun. Will the 100gr PSP's from Remington give adequate results on the three uses I will use them for? Is there an alternate brand/source for economy class bullets that will suffice for these purposes?

Thanks in advance.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try them all! But try the 87 V-Maxes first. My .243 is VERY bullet sensitive. Powder selection is a bear. 1/2 grain differences can be 1/2 inch differences in groups.

Post your results so we can see what you find out.
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Remington 100gr PSP's with excellent results in the .243.

I only use Remington bullets for my .243 and .30-30.

This is also my choice for .308 and .30-06 when it is for more than plinking. Plinking rounds I use military surplus pulled bullets.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget Nosler. I use the 70g ballistic tips with Varget powder and they really do a number on coyotes and badgers as well as smaller game.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    You should also be able to get the remingtons in an 80 grain. They tend to shoot a little better out of my gun than the 100 grain pills.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-There's no doubt that with your twist, the rifle will handle the heavyer bullets--

--My WBY Vanguard VXL has a 1-10 twist and I've had good luck (paper) with Sierra 70gr BTHP using AA2230c powder--.444" at 100 yds--

--[:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bpost has it right.
    Try 'em all, and have fun at the same time you are finding the best performer.
    I was lucky. My 6mm wildcat(.240 PSP) likes em all,
    but loves the 95 gr Nosler partitions.
    Happy shooting.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the 70 Gr. Nosler Ballistic tips for varmint and paper punching with very good results. If you think that you ever might use it on deer, look at the 95 gr. ballistic tips, as they are a very good varmint to deer size bullet. My .243 shot many different bullet weights and types very well so don't be afraid to try anything.

Jon
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using H414 for more than 30 years/ runs like water through the measure, gives top velosity in 243 with the heavier bullets, doesn't care what primer you use and yields top target accuracy. try it you'll like it. WW760 same thing.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover,

I think you could for sure use the 105's in that rifle if you wanted. I went to 40 gr. of H4895 behnind Win 80 gr. bullets for a velocity of 3450. That is even with some publications and over max in others so WORK UP TO IT! I also had very good success with 41 gr. of VV N140 with 80 gr. pills. I also really like the Hornady V-max bullets. Very affordable for very good accuracy. I use 55 and 60 gr. V-max's in my .223 for best accuracy. I have yet to do a lot of loading with them in my new .243 but what I have done is promising (75 gr. V-Max).
  • Options
    LongShot 220LongShot 220 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use:
    55nbtand 52.gr.of H414 and 210m primers
    65 V max 420.0 Varget and 210m primers
    70 nbt 41.0 of Varget and 210m's
    THEY SHOOT VANTASTIC in a box stock 700BDL.[8D]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    My .243 likes the Sierra 70gr HP with Win 760. Rem cases and CCI BR primers.

I like the lighter bullets for yotes. Less pelt damage but knocks em on their butts.