In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06 Varmit Rount

konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
Hello i bought a new ruger 25-06. I picked this chamber so i can varmit with it and also deer hunt. I have kick butt deer round made up. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good varmit round? I was looking into a 85 gr Nosler BT. What powder do you think i should use? or a different bullet? Thanks

Moved to the Competition and Reloading forum.

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Ruger 77 in their Grey Target model. I got good accuracy with the Hornady 75 grain HP, 49.0 of IMR 4320. You could try their 75 VMax also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I was lookin for a low recoil recipe. that just might do the trick. Thanks
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    85gr Ballistic tips and H-4350 will make up a fine varmint rount 'O)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found a great load. I will be trying all your suggestions also. Thanks for the help

85.0 Nosler Ballistic Tip
    WLR Primer
    53.0 N-160
    Remington Case
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    konamtbiker,

For varmints I would go with the Hornady 75 gr. V-max. Using 4350 or VV N150 powder. Hornady list 51.9 of VV N160 for a starting load, so you can pretty safely start at 3-4 grs. under that. 49 gr. using VV N150 or this load from Reloaders nest: http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=33&BulletWeight=75&LoadID=2280 gives a pretty mild load for the 75 gr. using VV N140. VV is very consistent not only from lot to lot but from powder type to powder type. As of late I have renewed my liking alot of the Hodgdon extreme powders. a starting load for H4895 extreme would be 44 grs. and work up. H4350 starting load would be 50 gr. All that is for the 75 gr.

For the 87 gr. bullets reduce each powder type 3-4 grs. for a safe starting load. -good luck
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Hornady 87 grain on top of 54 grains of IMR4350. 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Dave
  • Options
    zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I have the Ruger 77 in their Grey Target model. I got good accuracy with the Hornady 75 grain HP, 49.0 of IMR 4320. You could try their 75 VMax also.

I also have very good luck with Hornady 75g hp but with IMR 4064. Shot 50rds at prairie dogs and was pleased with not having a sore shoulder[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Havent used 4064 But i think ill give it a shot. Thanks!