In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

458 Lott

JAKEJRJAKEJR Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
By a stroke of luck {probably bad) I've become the daddy of a No1 in 458 Lott. Have any of you had experience shooting/loading for it. I think all I'll need is modern 45-70 epuivalent loads, and a bunch of aspirin. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone out here have any load data for the 458 lott id like to use a 450gr swift A-frame

81gr H4895
    GM215M primer
    should be about 2450fps from a 24"
    this is what i was going to try,, unless anyone has something better
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try shooting 458 Win Mag's in it (the WM is to the Lott as the 38 Spl is to the 357 Mag).
    If you still need a lighter load, use the WM brass to load them in.

The recoil isn't that bad, IF you handle the rifle properly. Keep your back straight, DON'T hunch over the rifle.
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JAKEJR,
    Let me take your troubles away. I'll even pay shipping.[:D] All BS aside, is it a hard round to load? I have not gotten into the medium/large bore arena yet.
    Earl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice Tailgunner -- I'm going to shoot it today. A box of ammo with 2 rounds fired came with the rifle - that must be all the first owner could stand. I'll let ya'll know how it goes - I might be taking earlwellman's offer.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JAKEJR,

I was nosing around in some of my reloading notes last night and specifically looking for some older data on reduced loads. I came across this comment from Speer:

"...courtesy of the Speer Reloading Manual, Number 13:

26.0 grains of SR 4759 powder behind a 400 grain Speer flat point bullet will give a MV of 1262 fps, and 30.0 grains of SR 4759 behind the same bullet gives a MV of 1445 fps. These loads were tested in a 24" rifle barrel using Winchester cases and CCI 250 primers.

This essentially duplicates the traditional .45-70 factory load. This load is exceptionally accurate."

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fired 4 one-hole groups yesterday -- One shot each. Recoil FIERCE. First shot I had to catch the rifle, pick up my hat and glasses, and re-install my ear plugs. The dies, bullets, and stuff should be here Fri. Don't think I'll shoot any more until I can load some loads like "nononsense" recommended. This rig, scope and all, only weighs 10 lbs. Think I'll add a recoil reducer in the butt and weight the forend to balance things up. Don't really want to mess up anything because the rifle handles real nice. I appreciate ya'll's comments-Jake
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With your trigger hand, pull the butt firmly into the pocket of your shoulder (not out on the point). Keep your face firmly planted on the comb.
    With your off hand, PUSH the forend forward. This will transfer about 1/3 of the recoil into your other shoulder.
    Keeping your back vertical will allow your upper body to move with the recoil.