In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handloading For 45 ACP

konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
Hello, I have a few quick questions. I am new to loading for handguns. I have loaded for my rifles for 5 years now.

Questions are....Should i always resize the case after fireforming? Or can i just expand die the case tumble and seat?

With rifles we all know that you can just neck size for most calibers after fireforming. Is that an option with the 45 ACP.

How long will be my case life for a 45 ACP. I have noticed not alot of case growth in my cases. They have been fired 4 times. Is this normal?

Thanks all for the help!

Comments

• Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload 45s and resize/decap at the same time. My feeling is that sizing is more important for smooth feeding than for anything else. Since 45s are generally ejected, they are more subject to undergoing case deformity from the ejection and then from striking the ground and perhaps being stepped on etc, plus I always end up with cases from other people as well. Let me know if you can appreciate any improved quality in fire-formed 45s--my guess is there won't be any benefit.
    Rusty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah thats what i was thinking also. For the fact that it is an auto much like a 30-30. FL Sizing would be important for correct chambering. I might try 7 rounds of fireformed and see if i get any better accuracy without problems of chambering. Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tumble before sizing/decap,you don't have to dig media out of the primer pocket.As far as case lenghth goes I have cases that the head stamp is almost worn completely off that have never been trimmed. Very seldom do I have to throw out cracked brass.45 acp is probably the most user friendly caliber to reload.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello as a general rule of thumb a rifle case with a shoulder will grow in OAL when fired and then resized but a straight-walled pistol case will get shorter in OAL. my suggestion get a good set of carbide dies then you don't need to lube the case. Then full length resize and use a taper crimp die NOT ROLL CRIMP then crimp case mouth to.469 inch If you try to roll crimp and Hve cases of different length you will have all kinds of feed problems . I have loaded over 250,000 rounds on my Star Reloader and some cases have been loaded over 25 times. Given these are not +p loads but once sit up to just slightly bell the case and use BEVEL BASE bullets you can load 45acp over and over . "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help!