In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

nickel brass

i have never used this in a rifle
my son came in with 20 pc of this for his 7mm-08
i dont like it for my pistol it becomes brittle faster to me it seams
and to hard ro see crackes
any more pro or cons [?]

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think you might be a little over anaylitical here. I'll reload either just about the same.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    Dave
    the ones for the pistol are an IPSIC load and they are reloaded a lot
    they take some abuse they get case proed after ever other reload
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Check out Varmit Al's reloading page at www.varmital.com. See what he says about nickel brass. I just loaded some 243's with new nickel brass last fall but haven't got to shoot any yet.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive used it in 357, 38, 22-250 & 338 win mag. Its worked out great. i havent had any issues at all.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    One thing that I have heard is that if the nickel starts to flake off the case, it could scratch the inside of dies or get stuck up there and start scratching regular brass cases.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is brass underneath the nickle plating. The nickle plating is harder, and if any dirt/debris is present, it can scar the interior surface of the dies. It also increases the thickness of the brass,..which when sized,...slightly decreases the internal volume.

I pass on it,..and havn't seen any at a match either.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    nickle cases +'s= easyer to keep clean, feed better from a magazine, look nicer([:p]), less chance of tarnishing. -'s= harder to resize (slightly), shorter case life (slightly), more costly. I've used them in a lot of calibers and like them (I bought a batch of 1,000 .45 acp rem. cases about ten years ago and have loaded them at least 10 times without loosing a case. If you relaod a batch of cases a lot or fireform wildcats you probably shouln't use them.
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With my expierence nickle will start to flake off. Im not a fan of that defect. It is more expensive. If i was gonna pay the price of nickle i would just go and get some Laupa or Norma brass.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like nickel personally. It also matches my stainless guns.[:)]

Smitty