In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wc- 820 surplus powder in the 45acp?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
has anybody tried this powder in the 45acp?i read of 1 guy using 10gr behind a 230gr bullet.i tried 6 rounds loaded with 9.5 gr behind a 230gr bullet with a cci mag primer,over my chrony it measured around 650 fps.seemed like a mild load ,no excess pressure signs on the primer or brass.this powder is supposed too be about the same as aa9 or 10% faster thah h110.any thoughts are welcome.thanks don

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    IMHO it is way too slow of a powder for 45 ACP. It is going to be dirty as it isn't developing enough pressure to burn properly. Yes it is cheap, but you can get 2-3 times as many loads out of a pound of Bullseye.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +1 on richbug I would use the powder as excuse to buy another gun that it would be better suited for be aware all smokeless powder is progressive higher the pressure on any given powder faster it burns . You can take a hand full and put on the ground and it will burn like straw . What this means to you worst case it could start to burn work the slide and stick the bullet in the barrel If you did not catch this fact and fire another round it could burst the barrel [xx(][xx(] I would find another use for this powder.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys,i understand that it may not be the best powder but i have 8lbs of it sitting here.i guess my question is more toward the safty factor.is this powder safe too use in a 45 acp with a nag primer if i keep chrony the loads as i work up?thanks again