In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45acp Seating Depth

BerscoBersco Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hello and thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.
I am reloading 45acp with 200gr semi-wadcutters. I want to know if there is a standard depth/location to seat the SWC's besides the OAL for the cartridge. The bullet has a shoulder where the cone shape meets the base and I would like to know if that shoulder should be flush with the case, or if there should be some of the base visible above the case, and if so, how much. Also, I am using a taper crimp and getting some lead flashing/rings on the finished rounds. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The OAL length is the max OAL. Shorter is fine. I have seen SWC with some of the base sticking out, but usually only the cone.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello just like rifles you can adjust the OAL of pistol ammo. I shoot bulls-eye pistol and what I do is match the ammo to the pistol . First off don't roll crimp[:(][V] but rather I like a TAPER crimp [:D]and set the crimp so the case mouth is .469 inch this will help in feedingwithout damage to the bullet.[:p]If you roll crimp all cases need to be trimmed to same lenght because a short case will crimp different then a longer case[xx(]. Now remove your barrel and adjust your bullet seating die so a loaded round will drop into the chamber and make the base of the cartridge about .005 below flush to the back of the hood of the barrel. On most of my pistols this is about 1.240 OAL . BY the way I have loaded and shot between 5000-7500 rounds of handloads per year for the last 35+ years 250,000 + rounds. Feel free to Email me If you need any more information I do have some Progressive Star reloaders for sale. [:0] "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by earlwellman
    The OAL length is the max OAL. Shorter is fine.

Shorter is fine to a point. Just don't go below min. length or you'll get over pressure...same as to much powder...Ka-BOOM![:)]

Smitty
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bersco,

I don't load pistol as my primary reloading item but what I have found is that as long as it is between the minimum and maximum lengths it should be okay. What I have found though is take the extra step and run ALL bullets through a final factory sizing die. I was having a particular problem with my .40 Cal. One in ten to twenty were jamming. When I did this it quit. I haven't had a jam in over 400 rds. My.45 wasn't as bad but after I factory resized them the accuracy improved to that of my .40...which is about 2" at 25 yds. -good luck