In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speer 87 grain 25-06

ReicherReicher Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I was looking for a load for the Speer TNT for my Sendero 25-06. I've liked what the bullet has done in my 22WMR. on squirrels and would like to see what it can do on groundhogs and maybe coyotes. I would like to hear what the combined knowledge of those hear have to say.
Thanks
Mark

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reicher,

I shot a lot of those bullets out of various .257 Roberts. We use 41 gr. of 4895 for a max(on hot days) load. The bullet performs excellent.

For the 25-06 I would start at 42 gr. of 4895 and start working up from there. Another choice is to start at 46 gr. of 4350 and work up loads with that. the best version of both those powders in my opinion is Hodgdon Extreme. I went through a pound of the 4350 and it was good from temps of -15 F all the way up to temps of +96 F. I generally use smaller cases so when I bought a bunch, I bought 8 lbs. of the the H4985 Extreme.

Perry,

Will you be my new best friend???
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I to use my 25-06 as a varmint and a predator gun. I use a 85 Grain Nosler varmint Ballistic tip. I use this cause i am able to seat my bullet closer to the riflings, and still maintain a good bullet to neck hold. I use this with 53.0 gr of N160. Havent used the TNT but im just telling you what works for me. This load for me will pull 3/8 inch groups at 100yrds. good luck!
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 54 grains of IMR4350 with the 87 grain bullet. 3/4" group at 100yards. Rifle is my Browning A-bolt. Dave
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I like 59.grains of 4831 this will fill the case to the base of the neck on Non MILITARY factory 25-06 cases if you resize military 30-06 cases they will not hold 59 grains one reason I like 4381 is you can't over load [:)] and I bought 6 one hundred pound drums at $.55 a pound .That's right $330.00 for 600 pounds I am an OLD F#$% Hello Mr Bruce and Sand Warrior I will be proud to call you both my friend. [8D]Hey guys it was Years ago when I bought the stuff Just think if Al GORE had invented the internet 40 years ago instead of waiting and I had posted then how many more friends I would now have [;)][;)]. The Surplus powder after WW II was how at least on powder COMPANY we know today got there start. I never did find out what 4831 was used in but sure glad it ended up surplus. I was reloading in 1966
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I like 59.grains of 4831 this will fill the case to the base of the neck on Non MILITARY factory 25-06 cases if you resize military 30-06 cases they will not hold 59 grains one reason I like 4381 is you can't over load [:)] and I bought 6 one hundred pound drums at $.55 a pound .That's right $330.00 for 600 pounds I am an OLD F#$%

Heck I wanna be your friend too 'O)
  • Options
    ReicherReicher Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to say thanks and who wouldn't want to be friends with the guy that has 600 lbs of powder. Mr perry I like the idea of a full case for exactly the reason you stated, no double charges!
    Please keep the info rolling, I'm new to reloading and feel like I am like a dry sponge.
    Thanks again
    Mark
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just tried some different powders in my 25-06. H380 and H414. 3/8 group with H380 48 Grs. Might try it with your rifle.